TechTip: More Source Debugger Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: More Source Debugger Facts

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: More Source Debugger Facts **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: More Source Debugger Facts0

PLEASE NOTE: Names have been changed to protect the innocent. Dale, First, quit using STRISDB. You can debug OPM RPG programs using STRDBG but you need to compile them using OPTION(*LSTDBG). Then on the STRDBG command use OPMSRC(*YES). You can debug a running or halted program using STRDBG. You have to use a different as/400 session and start a service job (STRSRVJOB) on the running/halted job. Then you can use STRDBG on the active program and interrogate values etc... HTH, Jeff -----Original Message----- Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 5:35 AM To: Jeff Olen Subject: debug article in mcpress Jeff, I read your articles about debugging. I was especially interested in learning that there is an option to view unused fields. I have often wanted to do this. But, I am still writing OPM RPG/400 code. I have only used STRISDB for all my debugging. I find it very handy (with some hassles about update production files that I think could be easier to use). Anyway, I have never used STRDBG and I wonder if any of your articles apply to STRISDB. I am really interested in the view unused fields. But in RPG/400, the H spec only has the S/36 style debug on or off. I guess I'm asking for a brief outline of the differences between STRISDB and STRDBG. Is it possible for STRDBG to be used on a running program without having to start running it over as needed for STRISDB? For instance, a decimal data error causes a program to stop. Can STRDBG be used on the stopped program to see what variable has the invalid data? Thanks. ---Dale

Comment

In Opm we used to have the option to see the trace of all statements run in a program by using command ADDTRC. With ILE it gives a message "CPF1902 - No default program exists." And on command STRDBG it does not allow to give default prgram for an ILE program. This is on of the many example where we ge on thing and lose something else.

Comment

Working...
      X