Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Anybody Still Use CL?

** This thread discusses the article: Does Anybody Still Use CL? **
    I haven’t coded a CL program since collage, 14+ years ago. If there isn't an API to do what I need, I use the QCapCmd API to run the appropriate CL Command. I mainly code applications but I spend 10-20% of my time, at work and at home, doing systems administration and have not needed to code a CL Pgm for either discipline. I see from the previous replies that I am in the minority, so I will accept that the improvement to CL’s structure etc… actually are helpful to others, rather than bemoan IBM using resources to improve CL, a dead end language IMO. Duane Christen

Comment

The last time I used GOTO was 26 years ago. I then stopped LEAVE, ITER etc. Now I dont even use MOVE. However there are people who demand that GOTOs and MOVE etc be included in /free, and some of them are recognized gurus. There would always be people who refuse to learn new tricks and insist that old tricks be upgraded. I am among one of them. I am too lazy to learn all the APIs and expect IBM to improve the CL.

Comment

Comment

we run multiple environments via a switching cl that sets up library list, jobd, routing data, etc. I'm sure you could accomplish this with apis, but - why bother?

Comment

Admin/400 can reduce the number of CL programs required to invoke programs and has a heap of other features and it is not expensive. See http://www.msd.net.au/cms/pages/Menu...!/display.html

Comment

CL IS A PART OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY THAT OUTLIVED ITS PURPOSE...In the earler 80s, an IBM sales engineer told me that I will never go hungry if I stick with IBM/IT in general and CL/RPG in particular. I made a BIG mistake when I dumped my ORACLE opportunity for this crap.

Comment

Comment

CL IS A PART OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY THAT OUTLIVED ITS PURPOSE... If you're not any brighter than this, you couldn't handle an "ORACLE opportunity" anyway. CL is a job control language used to set up jobs with object allocations and overrides and handle job failure and messaging. Good grief. rd

Comment

I think the question could be rephrased "Does anybody still programmatically run commands without calling QCMDEXC?". Yes, I do. I still use CL. Chris

Comment

If you only had 'one' Oracle opportunity.... here, take mine... Its not the language, its the app.

Comment

Yes, there are a ton of system API's that accomplish much of what you can do from a command perspective, but coding a CL program is much easier. I recently tied two vendor product command interfaces together with job scheduling for EDI and FTP processing. Could I have coded it all in an RPGLE program with API's, yes, but why would I want to. Again, it all boils down to the right tool for the job. It's the environment, stupid! 8>)

Comment

I used bound CLLE modules in an ILE server program, also call CL as standalone programs when needed, seldom use the RPG command call for internal command execution, seems to me mostly for internal library list manipulation, but that's when library lists were tight. rd

Comment

I completely agree. I think there are very few people like Duane Christen who would compeltely do away with CL. The justification can be to make it portable. Today, RPG has provided many thing like EXTFILE that makes CL unnecessary in many cases. Writing complex programs in CL always sucked for me. However in some of the cases it is very convenient for me to program in CL as you I press F4 and fill in the blanks. I guess I can blame my memory which is fading away with age, and my being in CL for too long.

Comment

So is also IBM commands. Who does not use the command CPYF? Those who do not know how to write their own commands do not know also how to use API programs. To write an API program is much more difficult than writing command definitions.

Comment

"If you only had 'one' Oracle opportunity.... here, take mine..." You have got got to learn it... If by now you don't know that you are sitting in an ORACLE gold mine, the pink slip will come into your way. By the way where are you situated and what is the name of your company so that others who are interested can grab it.

Comment

Working...
                                X