Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lost Art of Start Copy Screen (STRCPYSCN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lost Art of Start Copy Screen (STRCPYSCN)

** This thread discusses the article: The Lost Art of Start Copy Screen (STRCPYSCN) **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: The Lost Art of Start Copy Screen (STRCPYSCN) **

** This thread discusses the article: The Lost Art of Start Copy Screen (STRCPYSCN) **
    Nexgen Products (www.nexgencommerce.com) offers ScreenPlay which streamlines and optimizes the STRCPYSCN functionality into a complete solution for collecting and organizing green-screen sequences and publishing them to Microsoft Word or other word processing formats. We designed and built ScreenPlay to take the screens that STRCPYSCN collects and organize them into a database form on the ISeries so that multiple screen sequences could be organized, editted archived or converted to RTF (Rich Text Format) for import into a word processing format. We designed a PDM-styled manager that allows you to name sequences, delete and re-arrange individual screen, and even collate-in and edit spooled files into a complete sequence. Obviously, you can also easily "playback" any screen sequence and even annotate notes to each screen using an F4 pop-up window. To tell the you the truth, the whole thing is way COOL! The thing we liked about STRCPYSCN over graphic screen grabbers is that it was a character-based capture. Not only did it allow you to conveniently capture many, many more screen in far less space, but you could actually go into the captured screens with either MS Word or a text editor and adjust the contents of the screens to fit your needs. For producing green-screen documentation for SOX or training purposes, we believe there is no better utilityu on the market. To learn more about ScreenPlay, navigate to www.nexgencommerce.com, then: Products tab > Software Tools for iSeries & Legacy Applications > ScreenPlay or use the link below: http://www.nexgencommerce.com/Nexgen...256F6B001F5E81 You can also contact me directly: Dan Mitchell Nexgen Products Phone (630) 687-1092 email: mitchell@nexgencommerce.com web: www.nexgencommerce.com

Comment

Nice (free) ad placement Dan. The free playback program that I wrote allows you to cut/paste between it and Word--saving the data in the clipboard as RTF. So I know the value of that feature. Sounds like you guys went hog-wild with additional features, however. So you win. In the old days I used to worry about graphical cut/copy/paste'd screen images, but today, things have changed and with tools like SnagIt (and others) for $50 or so, I'm not sure if I would bother building Playback 5250 today. Also, its been a couple years since I've used my own Playback program, so I don't even know if it works today. I wish you all the best with your products--looks like you're in my old stomping grounds--Warrenville. Careful driving north on Winfield road, my daughter is a cop in Winfield.

Comment

We use Camtasia Studio for our procedure documentation. We will typically record the steps, add narration, then render it in Flash and put it on our intranet documentation menu. Anyone in the department can go back and watch it when they need a refresher. It's great.

Comment

I have had great luck with a freeware package called Wink. It has been around for a while and is being enhanced. We have used it to create training documentation and user guides. Heck I have even done simple tutorials to friends (ex. how to do something in Word, Excel or some other software). I just email them the link or just send them the flash file or standalone EXE. Here is an overview. Cross-Platform: Available for all flavors of Windows and various versions of Linux (x86 only). Audio: Record voice as you create the tutorial for explaining better. Input formats: Capture screenshots from your PC, or use images in BMP/JPG/PNG/TIFF/GIF formats. Output formats: Macromedia Flash, Standalone EXE, PDF, PostScript, HTML or any of the above image formats. Use Flash/html for the web, EXE for distributing to PC users and PDF for printable manuals. Multilingual support: Works in English, French, German, Italian, Danish, Spanish, Serbian, Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese and Simplified/Traditional Chinese. Smart Capture Tools: Capture screenshots automatically as you use your PC, based on mouse and keyboard input (great time saver and generates professional captures). Performance/Quality: Creates highly compressed Flash presentations (few kbs to few hundreds of kbs, much smaller than competing commercial products) ideal for using on the web. However I do like the option of capturing text only (for future edits, etc.). This software has many commercial grade features. I recommend everyone have a look. Here is the link. Wink Enjoy...

Comment

Until recently, I used a utility that allowed me to display another 5250 session on my screen. The advantage that it had over STRCPYSCN was that it did not interrupt the user. It used STRSRVJOB and TRCJOB. Under v5r4, the EXITPGM parameter for the TRCJOB command has been removed, so the utility no longer works.

Comment

Raz-Lee Security provides a SOX-compliant solution for capturing green screen sessions. iSecurity Capture captures such sessions either silently or after having informed the user that the session screens will be captured. These session screen logs can be kept for years, played back, and searched very easily for "incriminating" information (e.g. account number). The product assist Help Desks in showing exactly what a user entered and saw on their screen. I'll be happy to expand on the product's capabilities. Eli Spitz, VP Business Development, www.razlee.com 1-888-7295334.

Comment

I use Snagit, but MWSnap is an free alternative for capturing images http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html Camtasia is a little expensive, so there is good to have options: CamStudio - Free Screen Recording Software http://www.camstudio.org/ Wink (Flash): http://www.debugmode.com/wink/ Voice editing - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ Video editing - http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

Comment

Hi, beyond all the great pc software to capture screens and assist in providing pc-based trainings it might be interesting to have a replay function directly on the system by interpreting the file created by STRCPYSCN. Searching at google i've found a reference to a DSPCPYSCN command, but the link (to RPGIV.com) is broken. Probably anybody can provide the software here? Thank you Andi

Comment

Working...
                  X