• Show
Clear All

• Retrieve File Description

** This thread discusses the article: Retrieve File Description **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Retrieve File Description **

Retrieve File Description

** This thread discusses the Content article: Retrieve File Description **
    It seems to me an easier way to get the number of members in a file would be to write a CL program (which could be attached to a command) that uses the following; DSPFD FILE(/) TYPE(*MBR) OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) OUTFILE(QTEMP/) RTVMBRD FILE(QTEMP/) NBRCURRCD(&NBRCURRCDS)

Comment

Sure an easy way, but try running it on a source file with a lot of members - it will do the job but it might take some time.... - Jan

Comment

Too many iSeries "RPG" programmers spend way too much time trying to do stuff with CL. This causes them to spend way too much time solving simple problems. CL is a one-time-shot language whereas if you use an API with RPG IV (or even with "C") you can write a more global/generic solution that can be reused over and over again. Single-shot CL-based routines are, in my view the reason why most programmers take centuries to get stuff done--they waste time trying to do it in CL and then the next time something comes alone, rather than reuse what they have written, they have to write another one-off routine. I like to write stuff that can be extended or does what I expect to need in the future, rather than just solve the problem. Sure you get the problem at hand done--but if you build a bridge with two wooden planks, it "works" for your car, but what about all the other traffic that's going to cross that bridge someday?

Comment

Working...
        X