• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command Prompting 101

** This thread discusses the article: Command Prompting 101 **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Command Prompting 101 **

Command Prompting 101

I am submitting a job to execute a program and passing 2 variables of length 50 each. These Parms are actually for E-Mail & CC IDs. So if user enters an E-Mail id which is lesser than 30 digits length then system is keeping an extra '0' in 31st position and the total value is changing. Suppose if user enters 'Name@MailServer.com' then the SBMJOB is sending the value to the called program as 'Name@MailServer.com 0 '. How can I use Bob's solution to avoid this problem?

Comment

Command Prompting 101

Simple, just use a command definition and define the email address parameters (as well as any other parameters) at the appropriate lengths (50 in your case) and it'll work.

Comment

Command Prompting 101

Sorry Mr. Bob, I haven't mentioned that the job is submitted from CL program but not from command line. So I cannot create a command to prompt for E-Mail addresses because these parameters are received from some other before submitting this job.

Comment

Command Prompting 101

Instead of: PARM KWD(DTAQ) TYPE(*NAME) LEN(10) PROMPT('Data queue name') PARM KWD(DTAQLIB) TYPE(*NAME) LEN(10) PROMPT(' Library') try code below and it will indend Library exactly like system commands. HTH
          Code

Comment

Command Prompting 101

Yes it will Francois, but it will not work with the API example I published. I know it is unusual for an API to have such goofy parameters, but it does.

Comment

Command Prompting 101

No, you don't need to prompt to use a user-written command. You can use it as a "call level" like interaface and pass it on the CMD parameter of SBMJOB. It will work for you if you just give it a chance.

Comment

Command Prompting 101

Indeed, API QSNDDTAQ requires 2 pointers for name & lib, unlike QMHQCRTQ which requires 1.

Comment

Command Prompting 101

Bob, if you code the SPCVAL for *CURLIB as (*CURLIB *CURLIB) instead of just (*CURLIB), the system will replace '*CURLIB' with the actual current library when it calls the CPP. Most commands that support *CURLIB don't actually handle the string '*CURLIB', they get the command to do the conversion for them. (But since that particular API supports a special value of '*CURLIB', it doesn't matter in your case.)

Comment

Command Prompting 101

Wow, I didn't know that. I thought I knew everything about that dead language. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X