Automatic printing of word/PDF documents from the IFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic printing of word/PDF documents from the IFS

You should be able to ibed the STRPCCMD command within your CL to print the documents. Dave

David- I can easily display a PDF document from the IFS this way using START as the PCCMD. I do not know what kind of command to use to print a PDF. I understand START figures out what to do from the document type, but is there some sort of parameter to direct it to print instead? Thanks, Pat

Comment

The PDF should be linked as a parameter to the Adobe reader. Dave

Comment

We are working with a product XBintegrator (www.invenso.com) . They are running scripts on a eserver that generated xml files from db2 files of from spoolfiles and call a word process on a server that automatically generate a Word document with a Word template. That document can be printed automatically or it can be send by email. We also connected this to our fax server, so order confirmations (make up in Word) are faxed to our customers/suppliers. The Word template is the layout of your document. If you insert the PDF-printer (pdf995) you can print the document to make a PDF, for printing or sending. Bernard Bloom

Comment

Using FTP you can actually generate a spooled file based on the content of an IFS file. The trick is to set the name format of the receiving side (i.e. the client) to 1 (being the library/object naming convention), and the other side of the FTP connection (i.e. the server) to 0 (using /root/dir naming). If you then issue a GET from the IFS data from the server (for PDF files in BINARY mode; for TEXT files in ASCII mode) into a PRTF at the client side, then OS400 will generate a spooled file for you. In case of a PDF file, the PRTF being used have *USERASCII set, and the printer needs to support PostScript so it will interpret the PDF stream as a PS stream. For more info, ask Google to search for 'ftp print ifs userascii' and see what comes up. HTH. Karl.

Comment

We use a product called Batch & Print Pro to print Word documents from the IFS. Here's the web site: http://www.traction-software.co.uk It's very inexpensive, and works well for us. You can download a trial version. The only difference between the trial and purchased version is that the trial version pops a screen every 10 documents that requires a mouse click to proceed. For each directory that it prints from, you can load printer settings before the print begins. This allows you to print to different printers, if need be, or from different trays on a printer. You can associate file types with a program, so you can print PDF with Adobe, DOC/RTF/TXT with Notepad/Word, etc. Normally you would load it on a server so it's always up and running, but you can load the trial version on your own PC to give it a try.

Comment

Good morning- We store our data sheets in the IFS in either Word or PDF format. Does anyone know of a product or a method of automatically printing a document like this from the IFS without user intervention? At the time the document is to be printed, we know the path and the document type of the datasheet. What I would like to do is set up a C/L program that passes these parameters somehow and automatically prints the datasheet on a laserjet. Right now someone goes out to the IFS and prints the sheets as needed. Thanks for any information that anyone can provide. Pat

Comment

Here's a very inexpensive and flexible tool that will allow you to fully integrate your PC applications and PC files with your iSeries RPG, COBOL and CL programs. It's the iSeries PC-Engine by TurboGorilla. You can download a full function trial version at: http://www.turbogorilla-software.com

Comment

Working...
                X