Variable Record Length in COBOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variable Record Length in COBOL

just a thought. could you define a "flat" file with a length that is "a little longer than" the longest ftp record? If so, you could "result (CPYF) " the ftp file into the "flat" file and use a BUNCH of REDEFINES on the "main" record to identify each edi record type or test the edi record codes(been a while since I was neck deep in edi) and move the "main" record to a "more intellengent definition" record. HTH....................

I am in the process of trying to switch our EDI system over from BiSync to FTP, but the incoming FTP files have a variable record length and COBOL does not really have a way to handle this. Can anyone tell me a way to parse the incoming FTP file into a file with a record length that COBOL can handle?

Comment

In the beginning I tried that, but the record lengths seem to keep getting longer than what I define. So far the longest record length I have received has been 1954 bytes and the shortest has been 15 bytes. Even though I work mainly in COBOL, if a different language would handle this I am open to trying anything that might work. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X