It's a long story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a long story

KCastro wrote: > are now jumping from V4R3 to V5R2 and my question is... what's new in > the application development world and what are the biggest things > that I need to get up to speed on? That's a tall order, but here are some of my highlights: Websphere Development Tools is now included free if you have licensed at least one language's compiler. You'll get Visual Age RPG and Code Edit included. You'll also get any other language's compiler as well. SQL is more powerful in capability and is faster as well. RPG/4/ILE has been enhanced to become much more powerful and also allows free-format C code. Bill

It's a long story

WE JUMPED LASTYEAR FROM 3.7 TO 5.1 AND NOW 5.2 THE CODE TRANSFER W/O A PROBLEM. TO READ UP ON NEW ADDONS, GOTO IBM REDBOOKS ONLINE AND READ THE PDF PAPER "I DIDN'T KNOW RPG COULD DO THIS." yOUR BE ALRIGHT. BEST OF LUCK. p.S. I HAVE BEEN PROGRAMMING SINCE THE SYS/3 DAYS. DO NOT GET SCARED OF THE NEW RELEASES.

Comment

It's a long story

Your input and pointers are appreciated. What had happened was a management decision several years ago to go in a different direction from the 400 (you can probably guess which direction that was!) In any case now it looks like we're coming back to the 400 with a vengeance and I'm looking forward to it!

Comment

It's a long story

What's Code Edit?

Comment

It's a long story

> What's Code Edit? Originally a part of Application Development Tool Set / Client Server (ADTS/CS), then part of WebSphere Development Tools (WDT), now a deprecated part of WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries (WDSCi), Code Edit is a PC based editor which is aware of iSeries things like RPG and DDS. It has syntax checkers, macro support and much more. It has been superceded by the WDSCi application jLpex. It is indeed a long story. Contact your business partner or your IBM contact to get a copy. I think that if you had any editor (SEU) or compiler (RPG, Cobol) then you are entitled to a copy at no extra charge. --buck

Comment

It's a long story

It's a long story but I haven't been paying much attention to the iSeries for several years. Suddenly, however, the iSeries has regained it's stature as our key enterprise computing platform. So we are now jumping from V4R3 to V5R2 and my question is... what's new in the application development world and what are the biggest things that I need to get up to speed on?

Comment

It's a long story

Wow! What a great story! Can you tell us more details? Why you're coming back? What you found wrong when you tried to switch? Would you be willing to tell the nice people at IBM about this? Because this is EXACTLY the kind of story we need to hear. Joe

Comment

Working...
              X