• Show
Clear All

• RPG improvements

Our? prayers??

RPG improvements

ok, only mine

Comment

RPG improvements

I hope IBM puts this one on our nightmare list. I agree with Cozzi on this one--"My name is Bob, and I'm a fixed format programmer". Free format looks like some language that is not RPG at all. Supposedly, all for the sake of indentation. Ever hear of RPGAlive?

Comment

RPG improvements

EDIguru said: "Free format looks like some language that is not RPG at all." Amen. And, frankly, I'm glad. Of the 21 languages I've learned over the years, RPG was the most difficult to write programs in. Well, maybe APL was the worst, but for a touch typist that likes to code as fast as I can type, RPG is the worst. It slows me down tremendously. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

RPG improvements

Chuck Ackerman wrote: > EDIguru said: "Free format looks like some language that is not RPG > at all." > > Amen. And, frankly, I'm glad. Of the 21 languages I've learned over > the years, RPG was the most difficult to write programs in. Well, > maybe APL was the worst, but for a touch typist that likes to code as > fast as I can type, RPG is the worst. It slows me down tremendously. Which is a great argument -for- coding in Free-format -and- using Code/Edit. Bill

Comment

RPG improvements

Actually, I code in free format and use WebSmart. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Bill" wrote in message news:6E32A9309A56A73ADAB0B087E3082454@in.WebX.Wawy ahGHajS... > Chuck Ackerman wrote: > > EDIguru said: "Free format looks like some language that is not RPG > > at all." > > > > Amen. And, frankly, I'm glad. Of the 21 languages I've learned over > > the years, RPG was the most difficult to write programs in. Well, > > maybe APL was the worst, but for a touch typist that likes to code as > > fast as I can type, RPG is the worst. It slows me down tremendously. > > Which is a great argument -for- coding in Free-format -and- using > Code/Edit. > > Bill > >

Comment

RPG improvements

I'd like to use octal numbers in RPG:
              O'01234567'

Comment

RPG improvements

IBM gives us some great H spec keywords, how about giving us a couple more like target release and debugging view. How about a keyword to make free format calcs the default so we can eliminate the Begin and End Free format statements? As for coding multiple statements on one line... DoW condition; ExSR mysub; EndDo I think all that would accomplish is squeezeing the code together, making it more compact, and harder to read. What is the benefit? A couple less carriage returns when you type? Less lines of code? If we were worried about lines of code we would all still be using COMP and SETOF. I love free format code, if you are using functions and subprocedures in your code, you will soon see why its so appealing. I am not a 90 words a minute typist, but I still love free format. Making RPG like other languages.... Have you noticed that the iSeries and RPG are fighting for their lives in today's market? Yes they are two of the best options available in the marketplace today. But, since when does being best matter? Microsoft has a history of destroying their competition by selling inferior product with better marketing. Anything we can do to give RPG a more comfortable appearance to kids coming out of school, and CEO's who think they know about computer's, is a good thing. We iSeries veterans had better learn to embrace new technologies and show that the iSeries can play in that world. While at the same time, find ways to draw PC bigots into taking a serious look at our serious business server. Thats my two cents...

Comment

RPG improvements

But this is not part of the language. If there is a utility that woukd do the INDENTICATION and search where a variable in a program changes its value, there would be no diference which language is behind the hood. We are talking what is hapenning with the exixsting tools tahr programmers are using which is currently mainly SEU. RPG programmers are used to free format - CL Programs, and nevfer the less are prefering Fixed Format. Try to fix something in a CL Program that is a feww hundred lines of code. with RPG it is much easier. Did You ever see any C++ programmer fixing something that another programmer ha written? IN RPG it is common.

Comment

RPG improvements

I think all that would accomplish is squeezeing the code together, making it more compact, and harder to read. What is the benefit? A couple less carriage returns when you type? Less lines of code? In some cases, it would make the code easier to read and follow. And some DDS improvements as well:[*]About having 256 colors or best 24bit color? Having the possibility to change back and foreground colors: keywords like BACKGRND(*BLU), FOREGRND(X'0080FFAA')[*]Being able to choose the on-screen CPI or best being able to choose FONT. Would be great to show a subfile with, let's say Account number in 10, the Account name in 15 and the balance in 12 CPI. And...please being able to display a BMP or any images. CEO's and end users like to see images. And for me, fixed RPG is dead.

Comment

RPG improvements

RPG has been on the correct path, but it is still lacking when it comes to true ILE modularity. In my present job, I constantly hear fellow programmers and DBAs refer to RPG code as modules. The fact is that we probably have less than 10 true modules. The ILE compiler allows you to directly call the AS/400 object name of the compiled RPGLE module from an RPGLE program. You may as well be calling a compiled program. What is the advantage of creating a module in this scenario? A module should be a repository for multiple functions/subprocedures. Only a function/subprocedure in that module should be called, not the actual object itself. IBM should disallow the ability to directly call the module object. Only then can true modularity and a true ILE environment be obtained. I prefer subprocedures to subroutines due to the ability to pass and return parameters. This enables you to write clearer and more concide code. However, there is still no true advantage to using subprocedures in RPG. Variables defined in the main program are global by default. Files and all file field definitions are also global by default. Add the capability to create local variables in the main subprocedure and the capability to pass file pointers.

Comment

RPG improvements

I'm with you on improving the 5250 data stream. Even under current constraints, display APIs show that it is possible to produce additional colors. OTOH the comingling of fonts is something that the 5250 data stream cannot currently accomodate. . . . .But it should. I have two words for IBM on this issue: Why Not? More importantly to me is the ability to use printer functionality when available. The fundamental task of color printing (available in DDS) is not allowed except for the most arcane of printers. Once again: - - - Why not? Dave

Comment

RPG improvements

You already have a user interface (VIEW) that can display 24 bit colors and background/foreground colors and many fonts and images. It's called HTML. Your business rules (MODEL) can still be used in RPG programs. Tell management the good news. It's all listed in the IBM iSeries Developers Roadmap. I'd suggest that programmers learn this stuff or risk becoming outdated. Chris

Comment

RPG improvements

Chris, I want to be able to do it natively on the 400. To use the HTML roadmap would require huge redevelopments of the RPG programs which the management here does not find that to be such good news. And anyway, HTML/Java is only really practical for inquiry screens. The 5250 is an old protocol dated from the 50s. Put it up to 21st century standards and the 400 would sell like hot cakes.

Comment

RPG improvements

flic enr wrote: The 5250 is an old protocol dated from the 50s. TTBOMK you are off by about a quarter of a century. The 5250 protocol was introduced with the System/34 in 1978. The System 3, and System 32 used different protocols. Big iron used the 3270 protocol. Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X