Processing efficiency comparisons SQL vs OPNQRYF vs Logical files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Ackerman said the following on 5/19/2005 2:28 PM: > EVIs are simply magic. If you are all interested in reducing processing > time learn as much as you can about creating and using EVIs. This is good advice, but EVIs are not the be-all and end-all of SQL performance. Read the DB2 manual for much more information on general SQL performance advice. One other consideration, I am almost entirely certain that EVIs can only be utilised by SQL, so other HLLs like RPG or Cobol cannot take advantage of them unless they are using SQL for access instead of CHAIN, etc. --buck

Comment

Here in our shop, there has been much discussion of the processing speeds of SQL versus OPNQRYF. Has anybody ever run any tests, or can refer me to any articles where this has been discussed? Currently, we utilize OPNQRYF quite extensively, mostly in CL programs, and wonder if replacing them with SQL or perhaps Logical Files can result in significant gains in processing speed. Can processing times depend on or vary for jobs running in Batch or Interactive modes? We believe that it used to be true that Logical Files carry some pretty significant system overhead baggage. Is this still true? I seem to recall hearing that enhancements have been made to them over the years that this is really no longer as great a concern. We’re currently running V5R2. Thanks for any help that you may have to offer, and I apologize if this topic is discussed elsewhere.

Comment

I was wondering which is more faster, using LF or Embedded SQL when processing only selected records and using order by or indexin. Thanks Tiki

Comment

Working...
        X