WebSphere Version Control w/ PVCS or CVS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WebSphere Version Control w/ PVCS or CVS

Hi Bob, Yes, I'm from SoftLanding. No, I'm not going to try to sell you anything. My first recommendation to you would be to explore Subversion. Basically, Subversion is "release 2" of CVS. It has many of the same features and functions, only "new and improved" in many ways as well. Subversion is also an open source product and plugs beautifully into WDSC or RAD. SoftLanding took the open source version of Subversion and altered it so that it could host its repository on the iSeries. We then returned that to the open source community, so you can download this version from Tigris.org for free as well. It is called "Subversion for OS/400". It functions completely stand alone, no other software, licensing or fees are required. This open source, iSeries-based version control tool plugs into Eclipse 3.x-based IDEs for advanced PC, Java, and Web version tracking and release management. http://www.softlanding.com/subversion/index.htm As you are also developing on the iSeries with WDSC, I would also encourage you to explore SoftLanding's free RSE extensions. Again, no cost, no obligation. Just some very nice tools to enhance your WDSC experience and increase your productivity. This plug-in provides several utilities that make it easier for you to work entirely within the WebSphere IDE: fast access to spooled file output; the ability to view and respond to iSeries messages; graphical source compare and merge editors for iSeries code; the ability to edit data areas and display data queues; and a perspective that lets you view two source-editing windows simultaneously. http://www.softlanding.com/websphere/rse.htm

Bob, before I jump into Subversion, I was wondering if there was a way to communicate with my brethren in the field who still have CVS. Is there a way to somehow export an entire project from Subversion so that someone could then import it into CVS? As always, kudos to the SoftLanding folks for providing these tools. Joe

Comment

Here's a quick review of my findings... My research initially was to answer the question: "Version Control in WDSc -- PVCS vs. CVS" -- I was able to rule out PVCS by mid-morning the first day. The WDSC v6 Workbench is shipped with a built-in client for CVS. One of our server admins installed a CVS server and I was able through the Workbench to define a repository, define a project and share the project files w/ the CVS repository, check-out, hack code, etc. One of our Java programmers mentioned Subversion and gave a quick run-down as to it's pros/cons vs. CVS -- basically CVS has reached it's final version and Subversion is now being developed to address the shortcomings of CVS. So I was allowed to expand my research to include looking into Subversion (SVN). And I'll agree with you Joe, mucho kudos to the developers at SoftLanding for providing the tools and the links to SVN!!! Unfortunately we are behind in our PTFs so I was unable to install their Subversion for OS/400. I ran out of time last week but I'll be looking into installing the Subclipse plug-in to WDSc later this week since our server admins installed a SVN server too! As for your question re. export from SVN to CVS: I have no idea if it's possible -- the scope of my research didn't include that. But I'd have to ask, if CVS is being replaced w/ SVN I'd be more interested in the export from CVS into SVN. Again... thanx for all your feedback!!!

Comment

Barry Kline has written an excellent article on Subversion here Phil

Comment

I originally posted this in the Vendor Solution forum, but seeing as no one has posted to that in 3 months I figured I could get more discussion here (and I'm not looking for a vendor to sell me anything). Our standards committee has decided to use either PVCS or CVS as our company standard version control/change management (VC/CM) software since we have a wide array of development platforms -- RPG/COBOL (iSeries), C/C++, Java, HTML (various warehouse/distribution apps run within our server farm). I've been asked to look into how we could use the aforementioned version control software on the iSeries. My team is currently developing w/in SEU only and we do not use any version control software for iSeries *OBJs (I know what you're thinking, as I've thought it myself when I started here). We're anticipating moving to WSDc and are currently looking to use VC w/in the WebSphere development environment. I've Dogpiled this subject and I'm aware of Turnover's capabilities BUT we are not looking for an iSeries VC/CM solution at this time. I'm open to ideas/how this is going to work/benefits/gotchas/etc...

Comment

Working...
          X