X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pageup pagedown on display without subfile

Yes, but. . . .why would you not want to use subfiles? Dave

pageup pagedown on display without subfile

Hi Railone1. You can indeed do so. I used this technique quite often. I load an array with the data from the file, read through the array and load the twelve lines of output on the screen which coorespond with a data structure that I create in the program. This only takes about 90 lines of code, counters, pointers, "top" record key, "bottom" record key, etc.....on a System/34 back in the early 80's. Of course I can do the same thing with a subfile in about twenty lines of code, including keys, pointers, etc. If you are unfamiliar with subfiles I'm sure many of us would be glad to help. If your boss won't allow you to use subfiles, then update your resume'. If you have to write code for a /34 or /36, then I, and others will be glad to help. Will really test our memories. -Mean 1

Comment

One format. The repeating lines (subfile replacement) can be 79 byte character fields. You then use a table or array in your cobol code, positioning the array to correspond with the repeating screen fields. Move in whatever you want to display. There is less I/O with this technique, which can be helpful in a stressed environment with heavy transactions and many users. If you code "page at a time subfiles", the flat screen approach is not much more cobol code but you can run out of INDICATORS rather fast. 6 of 1, 0.5 dozen of another.

Comment

Is it possible to create a display in which you can pageup/pagedown? I do not want to use a subfile. I'm not using Code400.

Comment

Working...
        X