Transfer COBOL source code from S390(CICS VSE) to AS400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer COBOL source code from S390(CICS VSE) to AS400

Can you use FTP? I am thinking along the lines of ftp(ing) the source files to a pc file (in bin format) and then ftp to the iSeries. I would approach this using a staged effort. FTP one source file at a time.

Bently, We're planning do it by FTP from S390 - AS400 direct not thru an intermediary PC file. My concerns are issues like Hex codes, carriage return code, etc. to make these COBOL codes and copy books from the mainframe readable by the AS400 SEU even though these are EBCDIC boxes.

Comment

You should look into the CICS/400 PRPQ. This is an add-on product from IBM that will let you run your displays and COBOL programs with only the most minimum of changes. However, , , , that being said, I would recommend a migration to native 400 code the moment you are running. Dave

Comment

TonyT, Is the S390 source in PDS data sets? I think you need to copy the PDS members individually to AS400 structured source. It would be test whatever method that is decided upon and see how the result shows up on the AS400. As a good check for code integrity, compile all transferred source on the AS400. Example: PRODLIBR(member1) to PRODLIBR/QCBLSRC/member1

Comment

Thank you all for your input. In addition, how do you address the long field names in a COBOL program to the DDS which has a limit of 10 bytes only aside from just renaming it to a 10 byte field name.

Comment

The ALIAS() function can hold a longer name (256?) But you still have to come up with a unique 10 character name for the DDS to compile.
            Code

Comment

As Daniel pointed out you can specify an ALIAS name in the DDS. You will also need to use the ALIAS option on the COPY statement in the COBOL source. Its been a long time, but I had thought COBOL would only take the first 30 characters of the ALIAS name. Alternatively you could use SQL statements as the DDL of the file.

Comment

Hi All, We want to copy our Cobol source codes and copy books from S390 mainframe running VSE/CICS to AS400 for our object impact analysis tool in the AS400. Any directions, suggestions, experiences and thoughts on this type of project is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X