Beginner Internationalization Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Internationalization Question

Not to be confusing but.... what you are refering to as 'western numerical symbols' are actually called the Arabic shapes (0 to 9) as they came to Europe by way of the Arabs starting around 600 AD. The 'western' style prior to this was Roman numerals which are not used very often in modern business environments . To answer one of your questions -- you'll end up with Arabic numeric values of 0 to 9 (x'F0' to x'F9'). And I know of no way to control this though that isn't to say there's not -- just that I don't know of one. Generally the use of other numeric symbols (for instance Hindi) is done by a 'last minute' table conversion just prior to actual presentation to the user. In the case of Hindi for instance User Interface Manager (UIM) supports this type of mapping with the NBRSHAPE keyword. Hindi symbols can be used instead of the Arabic 0 to 9 on the display, but internally are processed using the conventional 0 to 9 values. Hope this helps, Bruce Vining

We have an application that we are looking to introduce support for Thai. However they want to keep western numerical symbols - Thai has its own symbols for 0-9. The codepage 838 has support for both symbols. Simple Question, I just dont have access to a system to check it out. We define a field as numeric eg PIC 9(7). Later a MOVE of the numeric field to a char field is peformed. The Char field is CCSID 838. So after the move do we end up with the english symbol for the digits or the Thai ? And is there anyway to control this ? Thanks David

Comment

Bruce, Thanks that helps answer my question and enlightens me about the numeric symbols background. David

Comment

Working...
      X