Problem: Field names with special characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem: Field names with special characters

You have several options: 1. Change the name of the fields in the DDS. (Not practical if there's a lot of programs that must be changed and recompiled.) 2. Change your program to use the ALIAS names and use the COPY DDR option. (If the DDS has ALIAS names). 3. Use the REPLACING phrase of the COPY statement to rename the field(s) with the invalid characters in the names.

I am working with a data file that has some fields that contain special characters. A R RXREF A OPART# 32A A RAWPART# 25A When compiling program, I get the following message: MSGID: LBL1042 SEVERITY: 30 SEQNBR: +000006 Message . . . . : Invalid character '#' in field name ORGNLPART#-DDS. Key field ignored. How can I resolve this problem? The COBOL program is not ILE or SQL. Thanks for your assistance. Larry Swain larry.swain@robins.af.mil

Comment

I noticed that the other field names did not generate an error. This may not have anything at all to do with the "#" character, but rather with the length of the field name. See if this will work when all of the field names are eight characters or less. Dave

Comment

Working...
      X