How to Get Out from Under an Obsolete Legacy Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Joe. It doesn't quite make sense to me. I thought being able to add the 5 pack of users for $1250 (5 x $250) at a time covered iseries signon (anything from ODBC to FTP to Client Access to WDSc development, etc.). That made sense. From what I saw, the $4000 covered unlimited "external" authenticated access *which used iseries software* (emphasis mine, I'm not sure what it means). This somehow seemed to be in between anonymous web page serving and the above iseries user sign ons, but the only difference would be Websphere authenticating I guess, and then they only care if iseries software is run for them (and the alternative?). If it's all one and the same then 20 iseries users for $3750 and unlimited for $4000? Makes no sense to me. It sounded like there was a middle tier of authenticated web users for the $4000. I don't know. The server cost is more reasonable, but adding $4000 for web server user licensing would be a deal breaker compared to other hosts, wouldn't it? It would be for me, I know. rd

Comment

We use only one user to access our data via web..i.e. webaccess... then maintain a specific list internally to verify each customer... so...the i5 "sees" only one user, yet we internally can track and authenticate individual users...only one license will be necessary.. works for us...:-)

Comment

> Or Do I look at Netdata ?
        The biggest problem with Net.Data is that the System i is now the only platform that supports it. All of the others have dropped support. Rochester have said that they will continue to support it, but with Zend looking into producing a porting tool and the fact that there are not likely to be many new users, it is hard to believe they will support it forever. Since there are huge resources out there for PHP and it is supported along with DB2 by IBM on all platforms it would seems a better choice to me for scripting purposes.

Comment

"So... why are you more comfortable in PHP?" Because PHP doesn't force me to think objects. I can write procedural code and use Objects where it makes sense. In fact while learning the basics I can do most things with zero object orientation. Once you have your head around the language basics and functions, the OO side of PHP feels like a natural extension. But most things can be done without any OO at all - even when using packages, most seem to have an OO and a function-based version available. As I have said to you before - I am convinced that if someone like yourself wrote a book that taught Java from a procedural perspective and then added objects as and when needed - I would study it and probably use Java far more and be much happier with it. But that book as far as I can tell has yet to be written. Simply put - I have a finite amount of time available in a day. I have played with Java for years but never felt productive. I spent a few hours learning/playing with PHP and was soon writing utility scripts to read PC files, build spreadsheets and send e-mails based on the addresses. Not to mention the odd web page. So - I can continue to fight Java - or I can work with PHP. Right now PHP just seems a better personal choice. "Or are you talking about PHP vs. JSP? Because that's a completely different kettle of fish." In a way I guess - not sure why they are so different but that probably reflects my lack of knowledge more than anything else. "P.S. Are you promoting RPG-CGI?" If you mean "where appropriate" - yes. If you mean as "the" answer then no. I don't believe in right answers - I believe in matching the technology to the needs/wants of the customer.

Comment

Thanks for the Info Jon, It was only after I was using CGIDEV2 for quite a while that I literally stumbled across NET.Data and thought "Theres' a free server scripting language on my as/400 and I didn't even know it!" I was going to start using it as a proof of concept when things went pearshaped. With the new company I can download CGIDEV and configure and set it up quite quickly as I have done it before. I still have my CGI programs and HTMl from before ready to download so I don't have to write code from scratch. Also the programs are in good ol' RPG which makes me feel warm and cosy . WebSphere looks like a bit of learning curve for me - but it would make me move over to using WDSC which is also on my agenda. I just find it strange that there was no marketing or advertising for Net.Data, and no-one else that i have worked with of overhere(Australia) in the AS/400 community even knows about it. I guess it got buried under the WebSphere juggernaut. Shame really . . .

Comment

Add everything else about the iseries to that list. Oh, and the iseries. rd

Comment

I see that this thread is more about us propeller heads talking about which technology to use to go to the web. Here's my analogy: What I've seen here is like a bunch of co-workers talking about which bread to make their sandwich out of (which technology to use), when the resteraunt is CLOSED. Programmers working in shops that have packages means that those programmers don't get to play with the pretty web gui, and discussing which technology that CAN'T be implemented in those environments is pretty self-defeating. I would like to see some more discussion on how changes can be made to encourage web adoption by the ISV's in such a way as to not make the iSeries shops using their packages say "Oh, you want us to go Web? Thanks, we'll get the Intel boxes with Microsoft software on them in right away to replace yours."

Comment

"I just find it strange that there was no marketing or advertising for Net.Data, and no-one else that i have worked with of over here(Australia) in the AS/400 community even knows about it." It certainly didn't get buried under WebSphere - any marketing IBM did was when Net.Data first came out. That was long before WAS - maybe the V4R1 or so timeframe? Looking at Ignite/400 (where there are a number of examples) there is a note that "Last sample update 23/10/2001" - so it has certainly been around for more than 6 years. Maybe Oz just decided to ignore it - although I was sure I'd seen sessions on it at the Australian common events in the past - certainly there was quite a bit of publicity on it here including articles/examples in the trade press.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend Net.Data for say an over the counter transaction processing application, but I'm considering using it for file uploads - you know those Web pages that prompt for a file name located on your local drive or network server, and allow you to browse your local or network file systems, and select files to be uploaded via the HTTP server, and saved in the IFS... Net.Data provides a nice utility for that. It would be a shame for Net.Data to go away, even though you can do many of the same types of things in PHP. Nathan M. Andelin

Comment

Should we just consider it another CGI tool, Nathan? And Perl and Python in PASE for that matter, I would think. btw, I just read your March article on AJAX. Very helpful the way you put things in perspective. Thanks. rd

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X