Clear All

• paul.hopper
    replied
    These 2 URL's are still not working.

Leave a comment:

• Prairie Dog
    replied
    Play Time = Productive Time?

So am I to understand that there is not an XML-GENERATE equivalent for RPG V5R4? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• MCWebsite.Staff
    replied

** This thread discusses the Content article: Play Time = Productive Time?0

Leave a comment:

• JonFParis
    replied

Nice example - thanks for sharing it with us. How did you build the original XML - from scratch or from an example sheet with the look/feel you wanted?

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

I have been using the same technique to replace various paper reports, especially exception reports and periodic summaries (sales, performance, quotas, commissions ect...) Here is a similar example: http://tinyurl.com/q7v9h

Leave a comment:

• dandruchuk@csdainc.com
    Guest replied

Jon, I wish to thank you for including the Excel example as I have used that many times to communicate with feeds off the System i and have found it the best way to do so using XML & CGIDEV2. Simpler is most often better when it comes to code design and the fact that an RPG developer of very little experience can pick it up quickly w/o knowledge of XML is very beneficial in our shop, not to mention the fact that many are experienced in Excel but may not be in XML so it is a well accepted means of data exchange.

Leave a comment:

• JonFParis
    replied

I don't bother trying to determine the point width. I simply set a test sheet up the way I want it to look with the correct font etc. then use the point width in the resulting XML doc. Remember this is a column value - so using %Trim against a field normally wouldn't help as that field may be short content wise and you have to determine column width for the whole sheet. That's why I normally do it "by hand" after analyzing the file to determining what column width will handle the majority of data without looking "silly" on the short fields.

Leave a comment:

• lujate
    replied

Unfortunately, the column width is measured in points, not characters.

Leave a comment:

• dandruchuk@csdainc.com
    Guest replied

you could use the %len BIF to determine the length such as: ColLgth = %len(%trim(column)) where collgth is the result of the length of the column field

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

Jon, Thanks for the suggestion. I am familiar with those compiler directives. Are you saying I should edit the installed /COPY books? My concern with that method is that I will need to revisit them when I install new versions of CGIDEV2 and LIBHTTP down the road (although CGIDEV2 is not likely to change, right?) because those updated /COPY's may have new variables added to them, some in common, some not. I just feel that putting those /COPY's in separate modules may require less maintenance in the future. Regards, Chris

Leave a comment:

• lujate
    replied

Any ideas on the best way to set the column width for an Excel worksheet? I can use the to set the width, but how can I determine what the value of x should be?

Leave a comment:

• watsonw@ggc.com
    replied

Jon, Another great job! I attended your session on CGIDEV2 last year in Naples and enjoyed it a great deal. Now that we have some breathing room I think we are ready to give it a try in earnest. Can't wait to hear about the enhancements to CGI that will further simplify it's use. Thanks again, Bill

Leave a comment:

• JonFParis
    replied

OK - I should have guessed that they would both use those names! OK - here's how it works (I haven't got time to check this but you'll get the idea). Source - PrototypeB /DEFINE(PrototypeB) /IF NOT DEFINED(IFSIO_H) stuff that is in both /ENDIF Source - IFSIO_H /DEFINE(IFSIO_H) /IF NOT DEFINED(PrototypeB) stuff that is in both /ENDIF In other words each one sets a flag to say it has been included in the program. The other one uses that flag to determine if the duplicate lines should be included or not.

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

Jon, CGIDEV2/QRPGLESRC,PrototypeB and LIBHTTP/QRPGLESRC,IFSIO_H have lots of IFS root system type collisions. (O_RDONLY, O_WRONLY, O_RDWR, read, write, etc). I didn't see a way to avoid it using DEFINED. If you can suggest a way, that would be great. Thanks. Chris

Leave a comment:

• JonFParis
    replied

Hi Chris, It is one of the limitations of the RPG /COPY that you have no option to change the names in a COPY member as you can in COBOL for example. I'm a bit surprised though since I know Scott uses naming conventions that are designed to avoid such collisions. What variables in particular were involved? If they relate to common structures such as USEC then you could probably avoid the problem by using conditional compilation directives to wrap those portions of the code so that they are not included if the other version is already present.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X