Copy member from RSE does nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy member from RSE does nothing

When I want to copy a member, I open it and the use the "Save As" option.

Copy on RSE is like Copy on Windows explorer. It doesn't actually "do" anything, except put that member in the "clipboard". To actually then copy it, you must use the Paste command. Right-click on the source emmebr where you want the new member to be written, and select Paste. Joe Pluta Author, WDSC: Step by Step (Yes, this is a gratuitous plug! )

Comment

Comment

I don't get a paste option when I right click in RSE

Comment

You have to first right-click and Copy a member, then you can right-click and Paste into a source file. For example, you've got a source member QRPGSRC with a program MYRPG. Right-click on MYRPG and select Copy. Then right-click on QRPGSRC and you'll see the Paste option. If you select Paste at this point, since you're trying to Paste into a source file that already has a member with the name, you'll be asked to give the new member a different name. Remember: throughout WDSC, the Paste option will normally only be enabled if you have an object of the correct type in the "clipboard". So, in order to get Paste enabled on a source file, you need to have first used Copy on a source member. Hope this helps! Joe

Comment

I set up filters to access the members to work with. I was clicking copy there and then trying to paste to the same filters, I understand the extra step I need to go to. I just set up a filter for the Source files in the library, now when I click on one of them it works. Thank you very much for the help Dwight

Comment

Glad I could help, Dwight. Joe

Comment

Joe, I'm not following you. Per your 7:45 post, after clicking Copy, on the selected member, I go over to another member open in LPEX. I click paste and it only pastes the name of the member "member.rpgle" where I have my cursor, which results in a syntax error in the open member. I also tried your second idea, in the 8:51 post. I click copy on the source member, then right click on the qrpgsrc file containing the member. The window being displayed shows no Paste option at all. It shows: New, Go Into, Go To, (break), Open in New Window, Show In Table, (break), Refresh, Expand, Collapse, (break), Change, (break), Rename, Copy, Move, Delete, (break), Move Up, Move Down, (break), Show In Table, (break), Properties. Sorry for the long list. Please bear in mind that I'm selecting the member name from the filter and selecting copy. I'm not opening the member, highlighting the text and selecting copy. Since, within the group of Rename, Copy, Move and Delete, only copy does nothing, it seems like it should bring up a dialog box similar to the others. I can accept that it copies the source member but find no way to paste it anywhere.

Comment

When I right click on a member from RSE (either Remote Systems panel on the left or Iseries Table View panel on the bottom) and select copy, it does nothing. Does anybody have any experiences with this selection working properly?

Comment

Your filter that you select Copy from is from a member list. Set up an object filter with object type Click on Work with Objects and it brings up a Object Filter dialog To save setup time type in the library where your source is Object name can be * Object Type should be *File Object Attribute PF-SRC Assign a name to it. This will create a new filter group in RSE that lists your source files. When you copy a source member, do the right click...etc to copy it. When you want to past it you have to paste it to a source file, not a source member filter group. Right click on the QRPGLESRC or other source file name and you have a paste option.

Comment

Working...
                    X