'watch' in Websphere Studio Debugger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'watch' in Websphere Studio Debugger

When setting breakpoints before debuging, Select variable I wish to watch. Right click on it displaying the selection dialog. Select "Watch Break point" A dialog is displayed with the variable selected and the length to save in the workspace. Type in the length of the workspace. If you wish, you may click next and select criteria about the execution of this break. When you have selected these, click finish. It adds an entry on the breakpoint tab in the upper right corner. Execute the code and when it changes the value you have in the break, it displays an error style dialog, with text about the value changing. Hope that helps. Dwight

type in the length of the workspace That must be my problem. I just accepted the default length of zero. How do you manually calculate the right length? It seems like WDSCi would know the max length and suggest that as the default value. Thanks for the help! Chris

Comment

I agree. They know enough to give you an error if the value you give them doesn't fit. I can see allowing you to key in something different than they calculate. I also found you can right click on the breakpoints area, and it gives a dialog, allowing you to maintain breakpoints without selecting text. Just type the right names, and say how long you want it.

Comment

When I right click on the variable in the source code while in debug, I see a 'watch'. I don't see a 'watch breakpoint'. Where do you right click to see 'watch breakpoint'? When I click on the Breakpoints task, I don't see my variable in there. I beginning to think that 'watch' is like the old STRISDB watch. Do I set a breakpoint and then edit the breakpoint properties? That wouldn't make sense to me. Give me the list of steps you do, please. Thanks! Chris

Comment

I point at the variable I want to watch in the debug session source, and rightclick on it. It the middle of the dialog is are several options reading: Add Breakpoint Add Watch Breakpoint Add Service Entry Point I take the Add Watch Breakpoint. Are you debuging ILE RPG or RPG400? If you aren't using ILE RPG, it might be similar concepts, but different implementation. Dwight

Comment

I'm trying to use 'watch' while debugging in Websphere Studio v5.1. It's supposed to work like 'watch' in STRDBG but I can't get it to work. I set a break point on the first line in the class main method, debug it (run it), execution stops on that 1st line, then I right click on an int variable further down in the method, click on watch, then let program execution resume. It finishes without breaking on the statement that changes my int variable. What am I doing wrong? Thanks. Chris

Comment

Well, I figured it out. I was debugging a Java application, and that just doesn't support setting a Watch Breakpoint (WDSCi v5.1). The HELP text clearly says so. I'm very surprised, and disappointed. Chris

Comment

Working...
              X