Installing CODE400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing CODE400

That's why I was asking about version V5.1.2 in the previous posting. This new version for V5R3M0 allows a separate installation for CODE and VARPG. Hope we can get an answer. "mhendrie1" wrote in message news:6aeaeb4b.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Our company has decided in principle to use CODE as the development platform, however we have come across a number of roadblocks. We are on V5R2 using RPG IV but have been unable to find cd's containing CODE only for the pc - the Development Studio V5.1 (Advanced Ed. for iSeries) cd's we have got take an enormous amount of time and space to load, making them impractical. Then on contacting IBM for advice, we're told not a lot of people use it and IBM can't really give us much assistance (!!). > > Everywhere I read on the web, this is the best tool for development, yet I can't load it and IBM can't help. We can't afford to upgrade all our > developer pc's to load the whole developer studio. > > * Any* assistance/advice greatfully welcomed.

Installing CODE400

> > Our company has decided in principle to use > CODE as the development platform, however > we have come across a number of roadblocks. > We are on V5R2 using RPG IV but have been > unable to find cd's containing CODE only for the > pc - the Development Studio V5.1 (Advanced > Ed. for iSeries) cd's we have got take an enormous > amount of time and space to load, making them impractical. There are no CDs for CODE only. You must load WDSCi. Code is obsolete and is being replaced by JLpex and RSE, so if your company has chosen to go with CODE, you're already behind the curve. > We can't afford to upgrade all our > developer pc's to load the whole > developer studio. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're stuck. ALL recent developer tools, from ANY company require about the same PC that WDSCi/Eclipse does. If you can't afford to upgrade, there's practically no way you're going to use modern tooling. Before you flame me, I am in the same boat. I use a Pentium II 450 with 128Mb RAM. I can't load WDSCi either. But I have a copy of Code/400 from way back, and as my PC has gone from W98 to W2K, I have kept it loaded. So I still use Code every day. It's an old Code, so its verifier does not know about V5R2, and I have to jump through a small hoop to get it to talk to OS400 V5R2, but it works for me. If you can locate the Black CDs labelled IBM WebSphere Development Tools for iSeries Version 5.1, you may be able to do the same. Just remember that this configuration is horribly out of date and is officially NOT supported by IBM (or anybody in their right mind.) There is one other possibility. I have heard that once you have installed WDSCi, you can remove most of the components, and that Code/400 doesn't need the 512Mb of RAM that Eclipse does. Consider upgrading ONE PC to 512Mb of RAM, loading WDSCi on there, removing the stuff you don't want and then downgrading the PC back to its original memory. Code should run in that configuration, and you can use the memory to temporarily upgrade the next PC and so on... You'll still need enough disk space to load the whole thing on, but a single outlay for 512Mb of memory should be within any company's budget. Let the lead developer keep it as a reward for being the lead. I have thought about personally spending the money to buy a new hard drive and some memory for this box. It'd be something like 200-250USD. But then I'd have a slow processor, slow memory access PC with a lot of disk. Probably not worth it in the long run. I'm saving up to buy a whole PC and telling work to keep their antique. A guy's gotta have his own toolchest with his own tools! Good luck. --buck

Comment

Installing CODE400

You could consider RPG-Alive GUI. It's a PC-based RPG Editor that is more advanced and more intuitive than CODE in many aspects. Try it and you will see (http://www.profoundlogic.com/products_rpgalivegui.html). It's inexpensive and it does not require all that much resources. If you need any additional information, feel free to contact me. Alex Roytman Profound Logic Software, Inc. aroytman@profoundlogic.com Phone (937) 439-7925 Fax (603) 849-7757 www.profoundlogic.com mhendrie1 wrote in message news:<6aeaeb4b.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS>... > Our company has decided in principle to use CODE as the development platform, however we have come across a number of roadblocks. We are on V5R2 using RPG IV but have been unable to find cd's containing CODE only for the pc - the Development Studio V5.1 (Advanced Ed. for iSeries) cd's we have got take an enormous amount of time and space to load, making them impractical. Then on contacting IBM for advice, we're told not a lot of people use it and IBM can't really give us much assistance (!!). > > Everywhere I read on the web, this is the best tool for development, yet I can't load it and IBM can't help. We can't afford to upgrade all our > developer pc's to load the whole developer studio. > > * Any* assistance/advice greatfully welcomed.

Comment

Installing CODE400

Our company has decided in principle to use CODE as the development platform, however we have come across a number of roadblocks. We are on V5R2 using RPG IV but have been unable to find cd's containing CODE only for the pc - the Development Studio V5.1 (Advanced Ed. for iSeries) cd's we have got take an enormous amount of time and space to load, making them impractical. Then on contacting IBM for advice, we're told not a lot of people use it and IBM can't really give us much assistance (!!). Everywhere I read on the web, this is the best tool for development, yet I can't load it and IBM can't help. We can't afford to upgrade all our developer pc's to load the whole developer studio.[*]Any* assistance/advice greatfully welcomed.

Comment

Installing CODE400

One advantage that Code/400 has that is impossible for anyone elses package to have is this: IBM wrote the RPG compiler. They use the same exact source code to write the pre-compiler for Code. Therefore, the pre-compiler on the PC and the compiler on the 400 should match exactly. The best other editors of this type can do is to do an actual compile on the 400 and send the results back. But if part of the reason you want an editor is either 1) because the compiles on your machine are too slow, or 2) you want to be able to work offline, then Code/400 has a distinct advantage over all the others. I can't speak to any of the other features, because I haven't used any of these editors since the early 90's. We are getting ready to install Code, though. -dan

Comment

Installing CODE400

Man I hate to disagree with Buck but ..... In the next release V5.1.2 (?) IBM will be delivering a version of CODE (and hopefully VARPG) that can be installed _without_ WDSc. I have no date yet for when to expect it, but hopefully within the next couple of months. In the meantime, there is nothing (except a lack of disk space) to prevent you from loading _all_ of WDSc and then completing the CODE install. You can then use CODE to your hearts content by itself. WDSc will continue to occupy disk space, but CODE remains perfectly usable by itself. IBM are doing this in recognition of that fact that so many of their users do not have the massive PC power required to run WDSc. In all honesty you are still going to need 256Mb of RAM to be a happy user, and you may not get through the WDSc install process if you only have 128Mb. I know it will work with 192Mb because I have loaded a machine with that configuration. I have met several folks who stuck with being unable to get management to upgrade their PC have purchased extra RAM themselves and stuck it in the machine. RAM for older systems is pretty darn cheap these days! Jon Paris www.Partner400.com

Comment

Installing CODE400

> Man I hate to disagree with Buck but ..... Hey brother, it's always good to hear from you! :-) > In the next release V5.1.2 (?) IBM will be > delivering a version of CODE (and > hopefully VARPG) that can be installed > _without_ WDSc. Especially when it's good news like this! Does that mean Violaine and Hak are still working on Code in parallel with the group working on JLpex? > I have no date yet for when to expect it, > but hopefully within the next couple of months. GA on 5.1.2 is 16 July 2004. WDSCi home page: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/wds400/ Announcement letter: http://www-306.ibm.com/common/ssi/fc...type=an&subtyp e=ca&appname=Demonstration&htmlfid=897/ENUS204-089 or http://tinyurl.com/yqj8d The announcement letter says ' Separate installation of the classic tools (CODE, VisualAge® RPG)' - I should have looked closer! Thanks for the sneak preview Jon! --buck

Comment

Installing CODE400

Hey Buck, Unfortunately all efforts/enhancements are being channelled into the RSE and the Lpex editor. For CODE in V5.1.2 you will see bug fixes and V5R3M0 level verifiers. Hope this helps! Violaine Batthish

Comment

Installing CODE400

Hi Violaine! > Unfortunately all efforts/enhancements are being > channelled into the RSE and the Lpex editor. That makes sense. Sad for me to hear, but how can IBM afford to maintain all the older stuff? > For CODE in V5.1.2 you will see bug fixes > and V5R3M0 level verifiers. Well that is good news! Thanks Violaine! --buck

Comment

Working...
                  X