Visual Age RPG vs. ASNA Visual RPG for .NET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visual Age RPG vs. ASNA Visual RPG for .NET

The main difference is that IBM's Visual Age product is closer to RPG in its syntax and does not require an NT server to function. I believe that ASNA's Visual RPG is more like VB in its syntax and requires a Microsoft server to function. What does everyone else think? Kevin

I am interested in hearing from any companies that looked at alternatives for "green screen" applications but still utilizing the AS/400 for batch processing and database server. Besides cost, what is the biggest difference between IBM VARPG and ASNA VRPG for .NET. Has anyone looked at ASNA or used it. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I looked into both, and an associate wrote some VARPG. We were considering doing more. VA/RPG is similar code, but has restrictions. I have a demo of ASNA, but didn't have the platform required to run it on my PC. Both are different than RPG IV and require a new skillset to program, and the code is on the client, that becomes a hassle when making revisions. When we found how easy it is to use EASY/400, we abandoned the interest the other products and are writing our aps using CGI.

Comment

Working...
      X