Having a bad day in WDSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a bad day in WDSC

Right off the bat, the first thing I ask is which version of WDSC are you using? Please, please make sure you're on WDSC 7. The latest fixpack, 7.0.0.4, was just announced today. But WDSC 6 and especially version 5 are both woefully out of date. Now, as to writing a "whole program", did you create a memebr in a source file in a library on the iSeries? Did you then write code in it? Or are you writing code in the IFS (which I very much recommend AGAINST). Joe

Having a bad day in WDSC

In anything (Word doc, Excel, SEU, LPEX), I save my work every 5 minutes or so... Just a mouse click (ok ok, I type SAVE in the SEU command line). Chris

Comment

Having a bad day in WDSC

My version, which I updated through IBM.com's download, is 7.0.0.2. (On another note, I had all sorts of problems updating my WDSC through the "Software Updates" under "Help" inside WDSC. It gets so far, then fails, usually with network messages.) The thing is, I did save it! In fact, I saw it in green-screen, saved and done but missing a few changes. At the time I wrote the post I was flustered so I didn't write fully what had happened, let me take a step back and mention that I also have the Aldon plug-in. Here's what happened as best I recall.. 1. I saved my changes. (Also saw them in green-screen environment) 2. I noticed that my latest changes weren't there. (I forgot to seton *LR at the end, the famous, "program doesn't know how to end" error.) In WDSC, I hit the back button which brought my source back up on the screen. My change was there, it just wasn't saved, so I went to save it. 3. When I clicked at the top, I didn't give me a Save option for some reason, I only had Save As.. so I tried doing Save As.. and it wouldn't let me use my program name. It seemed to expect me to pick something off the list. My program's name wasn't on the list under the Aldon plug in. It was on the list under my library. So I saved it there. 4. I went over to green screen to look at my source. My source member, which had previously been saved and looked correct, was empty! Back to WDSC.. Open the source member.. It's empty! It was definitely not my day. :-) (As far as I know, though the Aldon plug in allows me to compile without worrying about library lists, Aldon's default settings etc, I still need green screen to promote to Alpha, Beta, Production, which is why I'd look at the source in green screen -- not to make you think I'm using green screen as a crutch, though admittedly I'm.. heh.. green on WDSC at this point. Ugh, bad pun, I know.) Okay, different subject: Anybody know why, when I was re-entering my program, at some point, my source lines disappeared (where I'd typically key in my Ms to move a line and my CCs to copy a block, etc.) The left side of my screen was all the way over.. I assume I hit a key that made my source lines disappear, but I couldn't get them back without closing and re-opening my program. Charlie

Comment

Having a bad day in WDSC

Okay, Charlie, you have a lot of issues all at play here. First and foremost, you do NOT update WDSC using the "Software Updates" under "Help". You use the Installation Manager; it's easy and painless. Unfortunately, so many people have done exactly what you've done that IBM has got to figure out a way to make it so that the Software Updates feature is disabled for WDSC. They can't just disable the feature entirely, because most third-party plug-ins do require the software update feature. And my guess is that the Aldon plug-in is one of those that will need that feature. Finally, I am completely at a loss as to how the Aldon plug-in works, so I can't help you there. But I'd defintely be on the phone with ALdon support, because the symptoms you describe are not standard WDSC behavior. For example, the lack of source lines means you're editing an IFS file, not a source file, and that's just not a good idea. Personally, I think that if Aldon forces you to jump back and forth between WDSC and the green screen, then it needs some additional work on its integration. Joe

Comment

Having a bad day in WDSC

I don't even know where to begin. That song "You had a bad day" is just running through my head. I wrote a whole program.. saved it.. made changes.. I was sure I had saved it again.. then, when I went back and brought it back up in WDSC, saved, suddenly, the entire program was gone. I don't know what I did. Now, trying to re-write it (from scratch) my sequence numbers are not there. Where did they go? This is a painful adjustment from SEU!

Comment

Working...
          X