Weaving WebSphere: Remote System Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaving WebSphere: Remote System Explorer

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: Remote System Explorer **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Weaving WebSphere: Remote System Explorer **

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: Remote System Explorer **
    What are the benefits of imbedding spool files, WRKACTJOB, etc into WDSC? The real estate on the WDSC screen already looks extremely busy. Why not just switch to another window session that has iSeries Navigator open up to some of those features? Or multiple iSeries Navigator sessions? One for spool files, one for subsystem jobs, etc? Perhaps if I downloaded Turnovers plug in for spool files I could see if they did anything particularly applicable. For example one of our developers did a compile, and while the message window was nice, they did flip over to their spool files to get some more context on the message. Now, if a plug in pulled up the exact compile listing upon some action, that might be a benefit of an integrated solution. However just a general listing of spool files doesn't appeal to me for reasons mentioned earlier.

Comment

Just to clarify something about our spooled file plugin, you do not have to use TurnOver to use this plugin. It is free and all you need is WDSC. Also, as far as screen real estate, the best I can say is try it, you might be pleasantly surprised. The list of spooled files (like WRKOUTQ) just appears within the RSE tree like all of the other information. If you want to view a spooled file it appears in the "Editors" area like your source code. There are also shortcuts on things like the Jobs subsystems provided by IBM so that you can see the spooled files for a job.

Comment

I have been working with Softlandings spool file plugin since early this year and it is great. I don't think real estate is an issue with this plug in. You really need to try it to appreciate it's value.

Comment

Actually, that's the beauty of WDSC and the underlying Eclipse framework. You can create "views" and "perspectives" (which are gruops of views) that are specific to your tastes. You could create a system management perspective that would include things like WRKACTJOB and WRKSPLF replacements, which would then relieve the need for a green screen session at all. Or you could include a spooled file view in one of the panes of your RSE perspective, and have menu options that would change the view to look for specific files. The point is that Eclipse is an incredibly flexible framework, and the WDSc folks have done a great job of integrating MOST of what we need on a day to day basis. A few more pieces, and you would rarely have to log on to the green screen. Joe

Comment

Working...
          X