Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Rational Embraces System i

** This thread discusses the article: IBM Rational Embraces System i **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: IBM Rational Embraces System i **

IBM Rational Embraces System i

"The "i" in System i stands for integration. System i now supports Linux, AIX, and integrated System x servers ..." While I don't dispute this statement, these are not the AS/400 (iSeries, System i) that we know and love for it's ease of system management and solid security. Sure, they are being run on a reliable platform, but what made the AS/400 (iSeries, System i) was OS/400. Generally, OS/400 gets attention last at IBM and is usually playing catch-up when it comes to SQL/Database features and tooling.

Comment

IBM Rational Embraces System i

The last time I looked at the Rational suite, iSeries database modeling wasn't fully supported, and according to one of the developers on a message board, would probably never be. Does this new focus mean that iSeries database modeling is now going to be fully supported? Specifically, are record formats, multimember files, select/omit logicals, joinfiles, etc. supported? How about physical model properties like "reuse deleted records," "access path maintenance," "record format level check", etc? These are the things most people expect of a product that claims iSeries support. On the language side, what languages are supported when generating headers & stubs from UML? Just Java & maybe C++? What about RPG & COBOL, or Python & Ruby? Will I be treated as a first class citizen even if I don't think Java is the end-all-be-all of development languages?

Comment

Working...
      X