Weaving WebSphere: IT Starts with an "i"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But please don't hijack my i5/OS column for your desktop opinions, okay? You want to talk about the future of the desktop, be my guest, but start your own thread, since frankly it doesn't matter one bit to the future of i5/OS. In fact, until WDSC is Linux-capable, the issue is moot for System i developers (and no, I don't want to discuss it either, not in this thread). And while EGL turns up some interesting sites, try Googling Enterprise Generation Language, and you'll get a whole bunch of releveant hits. Joe

Comment

Joe wrote: "In fact, until WDSC is Linux-capable, the issue is moot for System i developers" ;-) First, the issue may be moot for System i developers. But most System i users do not use WDSC. You should know that already, Joe. Second, there's no good reason why WDSC doesn't run on Linux. You should know that already too. Third, regarding googling "Enterprise Generation Language", do most RPG users google on "Report Programming Language"? I'll accept that EGL has arrived when googling on "EGL" returns more than just pages on "European Gemological Laboratory" or "Elegant Gothic Lolita". ;-) Anyhoo, thanks for letting me start the day with a smile! We'll meet again in another thread! Cheers! Hans

Comment

Nathan wrote: "I love your Web site. You've done a first class job from top to bottom." Thanks for the compliments! It's a fun hobby. And with Google ads, it's a self-supporting one as well. You can't say that about most other hobbies! "Have you ever noticed that no matter how fast the new CPU clock speeds are, and no matter how much memory you get, your new system runs slower than your old one. The resource requirements of the new software have simply grown disproportionately. I'd like to see that trend reversed, and it seems to me that Linux may be a key. No kidding! For my home computer, I was quite happy with a P2 128K RAM system for years. Even my wife got a more powerful machine (running XP) before I decided it was time to upgrade. And I still preferred my older, slower Linux box. "For my part, I'm doing what I can to move applications back to the server using a combination of Web 2.0 user interfaces on the client, supported by efficient ILE interfaces on the server. The result is a highly responsive user interface combined with the traditional reliability of native System i applicaton interfaces." And with the thin client apporach, the operating system becomes a commodity. You finally get control back, and can choose the O/S configuration that best meets your needs, without having to upgrade (H/W and/or S/W) when your O/S vendor wants you to upgrade. "I read a book on Ubuntu Linux and was very impressed. It made me want to try it. I hope I can find the time." Ubuntu is I believe currently the most popular desktop Linux distro. I chose openSUSE since that seemed to be the more fully loaded. Hmmm, looking at the Ubuntu website, I may have been too hasty choosing openSUSE. It does look like it has lot's of good stuff too. But I think these days, you can't go wrong with any of the popular distro's. Linux has come a long way since the days when RedHat was the popular choice. Cheers! Hans

Comment

"First, the issue may be moot for System i developers. But most System i users do not use WDSC. You should know that already, Joe." "Most" is a fuzzy term. In the last poll I saw over 15% of System i programmers use WDSC - that's more penetration than Linux in the desktop! But that doesn't matter. Here's what matters: more System i programmers are using WDSC every day, never less. It's all about trends. WDSC use will continue to rise. Joe

Comment

That's what I'm talking about, I have the fever and I am spreading it. Thanks Joe, for what you do. That is what I come to this site for. If I wanted to do other things, I would hang around where that stuff lives. Oh, wait, I do, do other things, anyway... I come to this site for the straight shot of what I can do with an AS/400, period. If you have something that is complimentary to use on the 400 then I'm interested with that too, even if it's a penguin. But, the rest of the stuff, satire and other platforms, if it doesn't enhance what I'm doing on the 400, please take it somewhere else.

Comment

Joe wrote: ""Most" is a fuzzy term. In the last poll I saw over 15% of System i programmers use WDSC - that's more penetration than Linux in the desktop! But that doesn't matter. Here's what matters: more System i programmers are using WDSC every day, never less. It's all about trends. WDSC use will continue to rise." ;-) Joe, you misread what I wrote yet again. I said that most System i "users" do not use WDSC. Nor do they care. Most users are the people like data entry clerks or secretaries. Their workstations can be converted to the one true religion: Linux. Once companies see how they can save money by converting the end user workstations to Linux, you can be sure the developer workstations won't be far behind. Regarding WDSC, I have no doubt usage will continue to rise. Yes of course, there are benefits to the RPG programmer in using WDSC. But think about it, Joe. No other programming language has such a great need for tools like those provided by WDSC! ;-) Cheers! Hans

Comment

If what you want is "Straight shot AS/400 Q/A" this IS the site. However the world is full "satire" and "other" platforms. You see the perspective of "programmers" who knew and loved that machine (400) and the OS that came with it, back when people put UHF/VHF antennas on their roof. We've seen the glory, but we're also constantly involved with "other" platforms, OS's, languages, syntax, ways-and-means to get "it" done for the "Man". Unfortunately, I have to admit that "AS/400" and nothing more is a narrow street to live on. Almost everyone posting here holds the 400 close at heart...and we/they are also doing a whole-bunch-more stuff, cross-platform, web-stuff, interfacing-to-everything, all kinds of special-capability-how-to-stuff and their perspectives and satire are "real" world human interactions to "What-can-happen-in-your-career" as a "AS/400" guru. You may be asked to do something on a machine you never heard of until they wheeled it into the computer room...someday.

Comment

I don't think Craig is saying ONLY talk about the AS/400 and its descendants. We certainly need to discuss all those areas of IT that affect our use of the platform. However, there are areas that quickly get to be irrelevant. Arguing whether Linux is better than Windows on the desktop, while fascinating, really isn't appropriate here on midrange.com. Discussion of the latest graphics card advances is also not particularly appropriate. We have a forum, Shooting the Breeze, where you can talk about this sort of stuff (or indeed anything else) if you're absolutely adamant about doing so. But we should try to avoid dragging threads off into these side tangents, especially threads on specific articles. Joe

Comment

Hi efnkay, Okay, AS/400 isn't the center of my universe, I ate two of them Friday and they are called 'Redfish'. I do have two AS/400 timeshares, I have had a personal at home version of WDSc since it was called WDT. I have been instrumental in bringing ILE to two places of employment in the past and after of a year of patience, I have been released somewhat to wreck havoc again. I just met with another developer to wet his appetite for the WDSc goodies and the ILE goodies, just a couple of hours ago. I just passed the disks of WDSc 7.0 to him early last week. Why does this matter??? Because I thought that is what this site is for. To forward, to infiltrate, to march forward carrying the banner. Do you want to hear about my 10 domains that are off site hosted on windows and linux servers? Do you want to hear about the networking site that I have that I am able to provide a message forum, audio clips, video clips (not u-tube), and offer a once a week telewebinar format to my network in something totally not AS/400 oriented??? I didn't think so, at least not here at the end of Joes's column. I might mention the simple CGI demo website that I have hosted on a timeshare AS/400 that I preloaded one record with the interviewing Manager's name, Business Name and address, telephone number, and fax number, to demo record retrieval....kinda like cheating, ain't it...did I also mention that I had to choose which job I wanted, because I had two good offers at one time, and two good jobs, not dogs. None of this by accident. This is what I want to read about, and I would hope that is what most of the people who come here want to read also. Yes, Virginia, there still is a Disneyland, there still are dreamers, there still are good jobs...but you ain't gonna see either if you are a whiner, and poo-poo every good idea that comes along without giving it a try. So, no, I don't bleed AS/400, I bleed money, and am pretty well rounded. I choose to concentrate my efforts and research here AS/400 centric...I go elsewhere when I need to find out how to do something else...which I do, do. Oh, by the way, I am seeing the AS/400 in quite a bit of glory over here. One more, comparing a photo catalog site....or talking about it in the same conversation...or the same thread with real world business application development on AS/400's should be criminal.

Comment

** This thread discusses the Content article: Weaving WebSphere: IT Starts with an "i" **

Comment

I'll take money for service provided, regardless of the box. I prefer the good ole 400, and have all-that-good-stuff too. But it won't be the center of the universe until 12/21/2012. (That's a leap year...If anybody who thought 2000 was a leap-year wants to argue that one?) Hoo-hoo :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X