Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weaving WebSphere: Is WDSC Worth It or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: Is WDSC Worth It or Not? **
    You stated: The average reader of the pubs you mention have pc's but not a 400 or the knowledge of how to get on one, much less get a legit install of WDSc. That has been my major beef with IBM for years: the only way to get a legal copy of WDSC is to own an As400(iWhatever). IBM should find a way to get a free copy to POTENTIAL developers (like Microsoft is doing with VS2005 Express), and find a way to simulate an AS400 environment locally. My 2 cents worth on gaining penetration to developer desktops.

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: Is WDSC Worth It or Not? **
      If you are interested, visit rikascom.com Disclaimer, I don't get anything for it, just on their system. This kind of thing has been around if you dig for it. Of course I share the same beef with IBM. They don't seem to get it. But, if you want it, you can get it.

Comment

Have you ever used the tool? That's the only way you'll ever know.

Comment

Craig asked: Do you use WDSc in any way today? Do you realize that you can? At home, legally, inexpensively? No 2k investment? I used WDSC on my own volition at a previous client. The PC was not up to the task, and it was a poor experience. I did get a few Webfacing and HATS projects accomplished. My current client does not use, nor knows how to spell WDSC. My commute, work day, and other interests does not leave me much time, but I do have my own copy, and hope to have a PC I can install it on one day. There is also no chance that management in my current situation will ever see Joe's article. I have e-mailed the link, but do not hold out hope. Dave

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes change doesn't make any sense and is not worth the effort. Its good when its worth it, tho. I haven't been able to use it at work in the past, only since the last job change, which is a good time to start, the next inescapable job change.

Comment

That's apparently a bad URL. Try http://www.rikascom.net/wdsc.htm instead. Thanks for the info. Chris

Comment

Chris, thanks for the correction. Didn't mean to mislead. Never use human memory, unexpected results are frequent occurance.

Comment

Well, it depends, of course. If you work for a small company and the owner is on your bowling league team and loves green screens, then you probably don't need to use WDSC, your job is secure. But if you work for a medium or large company, then you learn to use WDSC so you can keep your job from being outsourced overseas. You see, there are lots of Indian and Chinese IT workers (and Americans) who enjoy keeping their skills current and would love to get your job. I like the LPEX editor. Just being able to do UNDO (Ctrl-Z) is great. SEU can't do that repetitively. And clicking on a compile error and having the cursor positioned at the offending line of code sure beats the green screen compile of find spool file, 5, B, page up a few times, find the line # in error, go to that line, repeat, etc. Does STRDBG remember your break points from yesterday? No, WDSC does. And so forth... In my opinion, the biggest hurdle for anyone moving from SEU and PDM to WDSC / RSE / LPEX is overcoming muscle memory in those fingers. For about a month in WDSC, you'll actually need to think about what you are doing, it won't be automatic. I gotta go. Chris

Comment

I am contracting at a client site where WDSC is used by some developers and largely ignored by others. Primarily because of the focus on green-screen apps but also because of the desktop/thin client constraint(WDSC does not run very well, or at all on Citrix). I am desperately trying to get upgraded to a desk top so I can start using WDSC and have emailed Joes article to my Project manager hoping to stir up some interest - but I fear that the only way I am going to get started at this site is to do it myself. It was mentioned that you can use WDSC at home legally. Has it somehow become freeware ? I have no problem setting up a separate PC at home for development if I can install WDSC on it and start using it in my spare time. It is time well spent if I can leverage that skill set into getting a job in a more pro-active environment. In my last job I developed apps using the CGIDEV2 tool and coded all the HTML and RPG via green screens - it would have been fantastic to have all the editing tools in one place ! p.s I have been told I may get a desktop but procurement will take between 1 and 3 months !!

Comment

Well, that's an interesting point, David, but I differ a little with you on a couple of points. First, I don't know how many iSeries shop managers actually care what Information Week tells them. I understand that there's a new generation of CIOs that really don't know anything about hardware and must rely on an even younger generation that whispers "Vista" in their ears, but those folks aren't likely to own an iSeries anyway. No, the folks that make the decision in most iSeries shops are pretty savvy individuals. They may be fighting corporate battles and thus may not have the funding they need, and that's why they need to be educated on why WDSC has a real, measurable ROI. And that starts with a real cost assessment. But more to the point, I think it's the iSeries programmers who need to push these issues. Personally, I think a lot of us got very complacent over the years thinking that "those little PCs" could never actually make a different, or that our jobs could never get outsourced. And if you look at it, we're now on the brink of what the automobile unions faced, with much the same decision: either move up the technological totem pole, or watch the jobs go away. And one of the first steps we can take as a community is to make a hue and cry to get upgraded to WDSC. IT managers aren't going to do it for nothing, but if their programmers get up and start yapping about it, and showing them what it can do, then maybe, just maybe, we can start getting this fabulous tool in the hands of those who can make use of it. But it's up to the PROGRAMMERS to sell it to the managers. Not me. Joe

Comment

Lots of corrections here. First, the updates is NOT to get you to an average PC. The average PC that you can buy today for under $1000 has plenty of horsepower. The problem is that many PCs used as green screen emulators are far less than average, and need a kick in the pants to get up to speed. And as I mentioned clearly, that could be as little as $50. The only thing I'm asking for that might make a difference is the high-speed disk drive, and I only ask for that if you're doing web development. If you are still primarily an RPG programmer, then you only need as little as $50 and at most a couple of hundred bucks to get a capable PC. Second, you can see the results of your compiles just fine without STRRSESVR. Where did you get the idea you needed STRRSESVR for anything? If you use the compile or verify features of the tool, all the errors are returned to you in a GUI fashion quite nicely. Last but not least, though, I am a little puzzled by your tone using the phrase "several hours to walk you through". You seem to resent actually having to take time to learn the tools. You can't afford a few hours to learn? Then most definitely WDSC is NOT for you. WDSC is an open door to an entire new universe of knowledge, but unfortunately it doesn't have the automatic information download capabilities of The Matrix. You have to learn the stuff. So, basically, yes, you need a couple of hundred bucks and the willingness to learn to use these tools. Where are the benefits? Everywhere. Read my previous articles on the tools or indeed any of dozens of other articles. Buy a book or a training course or just go through the tutorials. If you don't get any benefit, we will return your green screen free of charge... Joe

Comment

A Dell machine that can support WDSC reasonably costs about $500 without a monitor. That's an AMD processor, 1GB of RAM and a 250GB 7200RPM disk drive. Fast? No. But certainly adequate. If you can't afford $500 on your career, then you don't have a career, you have a job. And if programming is a job to you, then you don't need any of this fancy-schmancy self-improvement hooey anyway, because you're just looking for the easiest way to get a paycheck. Salesmen spend more than $500 on their suits. Mechanics on their tools. Drivers on their vehicles. Education is also a must. My Dad was a plant manager, and he was willing to spend time near the end of his career to learn the fancy new hydraulics systems they were putting in at his plant. It's a matter of perspective. Me, I do this because I love it. Still do, to this day, after some 30 years in the biz. Ab-so-lute-ly love it. Joe P.S. A Gateway with a 10K SATA drive is about $850. Man!

Comment

"If we were auto mechanics....would you choose to work for a shop that didn't have the latest electronic diagnostic tools?" This is a great point, Craig. I grew up with garage mechanics in my neighborhood. There were two kinds: the ones who bought Snap-On tools and the ones who bought whatever they found at Ace Hardware. If you wanted your car fixed right, you went to the Snap-On guy. Two questions arise here: can I learn the tool on my own, and can I get management to buy in. I'm pretty sure it will be easier to get management to buy in if you already know hte tool and can show them what benefits it will have. So the point is whether you are willing to pony up the money to learn on your own. And funny thing... I know guys who will spend hundreds of bucks on their clothes or their cars or their lawnmower or even their grill, but will balk at spending money on their home PC. Heck, you can buy THREE nice PCs for the price of just one plasma TV. It's all about priorities. Joe

Comment

Go investigate www.rikascom.net.

Comment

Yes. I have invested time in this tool since the first edition of WDT (2000 or 2001?), ok, not as much as I wanted to... The payoff....a great career changing job in late 2006. Hiring managers told me that my personal investment in a 400 timeshare(actually two) and my personal initiative to learn WDSc (and a demo cgi web site developed in WDSc made available to hiring manager) set me apart from the pack. So, is it worth it? No. It is essential, if you want a career. Thanks, Joe for opening up a lot of this technology and opportunities to us. How about it, how do you answer Joe's question?

Comment

Working...
                                X