Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weaving WebSphere: Is WDSC Worth It or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: Is WDSC Worth It or Not? **
    I will add that for all these years, Windows IDE developers have required and been provided beefed up PC's because the IDE needed it. This is just a standard requirement for IDE developers, and has been. The difference is that we now have that IDE ourselves for iseries development, and can make just as good use of it. Any company that has any other heavy duty software development will not be strangers to the specs required for the PC's to run these Integrated Development Environments. If they are strangers to IDE's such as Visual Studio or Eclipse and balk at spending on a PC workstation for software development, it had better be because they have no plans for any other software development, because they won't be able to get by with anything else. Along those lines, in discussions with the purchase approval people I would refer to this as the Websphere Development Studio. I would not refer to it as WDSC or WSAD unless you hear a Microsoft developer refer to their IDE as VS, which is not done in public discussions. I would also refer to the development as ILE, which they do as .NET. ILE is RPG, C, C++, COBOL, and CL which supports Java and script languages such as PHP, Perl, and Python, and was in use before .NET was dreamed up, if looking at ILE and Java specs is dreaming. I would also describe Websphere Development Studio as an Eclipse plug-in, and Eclipse as the now standard software development environment for everything but proprietary Microsoft languages. And Eclipse is open source. No vendor lock-in there. As for what immediate benefits there are to the business, I would mention that it supports modular development with logic architected in one place and more opportunities to tap into tested code already in production. That's real ROI, and it's the reason everyone else has an IDE. Eclipse is that IDE for most outside of the Windows development world. But just to show how open it is, there's a .NET plug-in too. Bottom line, to develop integrated code for integrated systems requires an integrated development environment. Here's the PO. Thanks. rd

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: Is WDSC Worth It or Not? **
      Joe, You wrote: But more to the point, I think it's the iSeries programmers who need to push these issues. Personally, I think a lot of us got very complacent over the years thinking that "those little PCs" could never actually make a different, or that our jobs could never get outsourced. And if you look at it, we're now on the brink of what the automobile unions faced, with much the same decision: either move up the technological totem pole, or watch the jobs go away. And one of the first steps we can take as a community is to make a hue and cry to get upgraded to WDSC. IT managers aren't going to do it for nothing, but if their programmers get up and start yapping about it, and showing them what it can do, then maybe, just maybe, we can start getting this fabulous tool in the hands of those who can make use of it. But it's up to the PROGRAMMERS to sell it to the managers. Not me. I have been "Yapping" about this for years, and my managers say: "Why don't you learn it in your spare time" - Most programmers that I know don't have the time to properly document their programs, let alone learn new technology. Secondly, without learning how to effectively use the tool, so that we can present something that looks professional and the manager can see the benefits, the manager will not get this "Fabulous tool" to the programmers, because to them there's no benefit. As for the remark "those little PC's" never making a difference, I have known for years that they would, but not been allowed to learn how to make use of them, except in my "Spare Time". Managers want productive employees, not those learning something on company time, and definitely not paying for training without a definite ROI before-hand. But, there's no way to give them a ROI without being fully trained and giving them an application to see. Classic Catch-22

Comment

I think you can show management the ROI on WDSC without having to know the tool inside and out. You can learn more than enough to use WDSC from the tutorial information in the tool, or Jon and Susan's free RSE quickstart guide. You can even buy my WDSC: Step by Step book for a modest price and be introduced to web development aspects of the tool as well as the RPG side. I understand the time issue, but WDSC is no longer an optional skill. It will be required for the next wave of System i development. And if you can't make the time for learning essential skills, then you will be left behind. It's as simple as that. Joe

Comment

Working...
        X