• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDSC and CVS

** This thread discusses the article: WDSC and CVS **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: WDSC and CVS0

WDSC and CVS

As you mentioned in your article, CVS is over 20 years old. The same people that put CVS together have now taken it to the next level, keeping some of the features of CVS that everyone liked and adding new features that many were desperately searching for. This new version is called Subversion, which you (very) briefly mentioned. Some popular features of Subversion include: Efficient team development; File, directory, metadata versioning; Risk-free atomic commits; Economical branching for release management; Auditable change history and more. With the support of the Subversion community and the Apache team at IBM, SoftLanding has ported the award-winning open source version control tool, Subversion, to run natively on the iSeries. You'll find the binaries of the resulting Subversion for OS/400 freely available for download at SoftLanding.com under the Subversion license. The open source project itself, however -- including the development community, end user mailing lists, the source code, and all other aspects of the Subversion for OS/400 ecosystem -- continue to be hosted by Tigris.org. Please note: while SoftLanding has done the work to port Subversion to the OS/400, we have returned it back to the open-source community and there is no charge for this code. And yes, it most certainly does plug in seemlessly into WDSC. However, there is also command line access and Windows Explorer access for those that are not developing Java in WDSC. For more documentation, and to download the code, please go here: http://www.softlanding.com/subversion/index.htm

Comment

WDSC and CVS

Thanks for this update, Joe! This article was specifically targeted to cover CVS and WDSC, so I really did just barely touch on other projects. Because of this, I didn't really dig too deep, and so while I knew a little bit about Subversion, I hadn't known about Softlanding's port to OS/400. Since it's open source, I'll try to take a look at it ASAP to see how it stacks up to CVS support. Hopefully I can return to this subject in a later article and compare the two. Unfortunately, I'm on V5R1 and it seems that the APR *SRVPGM that enables the Subversion port has problems at V5R1. Ah well, V5R1 is about to go out of service, anyway, so it's time to order all those PTFs. Joe

Comment

WDSC and CVS

Hi Joe, Actually, after I read your article, and replied, I read one of the articles you cross referenced by Barry Kline. Towards the bottom of his article, he has a paragraph that talks about Subversion on the i5. He says "Best of all, you can even host your Subversion repositories on i5/OS (V5R1 and above)." If you hover over his link under the work "i5/OS", you'll see he stealthfully directs you to the softlanding link. Re: your problems with the APR *SRVPGM, I can ask around to see if anyone knows any short term fix for that.

Comment

WDSC and CVS

Don't worry, Joe. I've already ordered the fix for this box, and my new box is "in process". It will be a V5R3 machine, so no worries about running the Softlanding port. It will be nice to have all of my source backed up on one machine again! Joe

Comment

Working...
          X