Warning: Undefined array key 125517 in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 3534

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 3536

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 704

Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 3548

Warning: Undefined array key 125517 in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 3534

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 3536

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 704

Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 3548

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 635

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 635

Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72

Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77

Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72

Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77

Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 173

Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 190

Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 191

Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 197

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 6509

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 212

Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 251

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 4998

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1585

Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1601

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 6509

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 212

Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 251

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 4998

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1585

Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1601
Weaving WebSphere: Debugging iSeries HLLs in WDSc - MC Press Online Forums

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weaving WebSphere: Debugging iSeries HLLs in WDSc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaving WebSphere: Debugging iSeries HLLs in WDSc

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: Debugging iSeries HLLs in WDSc **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Weaving WebSphere: Debugging iSeries HLLs in WDSc **0

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: Debugging iSeries HLLs in WDSc **
    Joe, Thanks for a great article on debugging the traditional way. That said, you are showcasing an ancient (50 years), cumbersome, programmer intensive, costly, and primitive way to stop the computer to solve programming issues. The future and survival of the iSeries depends on very productive programmers, using modern productivity tools and techniques to be competitive. Electronic Program Auditing (full program auditing of the entire program and data being executed with no programmer involvement) is the best present and future technique to solve the issue that this article presents. Thanks, Paul Harkins

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Paul. Of course, it would probably be a little more informative for all concerned if you provided the standard disclaimer that your business is to sell Electronic Prgoram Auditing (a process you patented, IIRC). Since you are in effect pushing your product, I'm not going to actually present my opinion of programmatic debugging unless you ask me to. Be prepared, though; it won't be exactly glowing, since I think that any programmatic tool only addresses the easy part of application development, the part that doesn't require human creativity. Of course, that shouldn't be a surprise. Considering my opinion on code generators, guessing what I think of programmatic code debuggers shouldn't be too hard. Heck, even a computer could do it . That being said, tools like yours are fantastic for finding intermittent bugs. But then again, if you have a lot of intermittent bugs in your code, you might want to consider expanding your employment horizons (say, at Microsoft ). Joe

Comment

Joe, Going through your article and I seem to have a problem compiling the programs from WDSC. It apparently can't find QRSEEXEC. Am I missing something or just doing something wrong? Message . . . . : Program QRSEEXEC in library QDEVTOOLS not found. I've added QDEVTOOLS to my Library List but get the same msg. PS: it's still an excellnt article. Thank You, Gerry Weissinger

Comment

I compiled each of the programs and got return codes of 00. but when I try to call callmath, I get the following message: Application error. MCH3401 unmonitored by CALLMATH at statement 00000000. The line from the dump that seems most relevant is: Cannot resolve to object MATH. Type and Subtype X'0201' Authority X'0000'. I'm real new to this, so I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but could really use your help.

Comment

Joe, Great article, I use the debugger all the time in WDSc and now use it only with service entry points, a great feature of WDSc. I was surprised that you did not mention debugging with service entry points in your article, maybe a follow-up?? Diane

Comment

Hmm. It sounds like you may not be up to date on PTFs. What version of the operating system are you using? Anyway, WDSC includes a tool that verifies whether all needed PTFs are installed. To find the required PTF'S, Start WDSCi and open a connection to your iSeries then right click on iSeries Objects --> Verify Connections... This will show you the required PTF's. There's also a program called the Communications Console in the WDSC folder in a subfolder called Communications that can help you do the same thing. Joe

Comment

Check and make sure the programs have really compiled by doing a DSPLIB on the MC0507 library. Then be sure you add the library list to your connection using the steos shown in Figures 4 and 5. Joe

Comment

Hi Diane! I'm glad you've been using the SEP feature of the debugger; it seems like an incredible help to debugging (especially those nasty intermittents!). Unfortunately at this point, I'm just not enough of an expert on service entry points to tell folks about them. It's on my list of things to become proficient at, and once I do I'll certainly do a follow-up article. In the meantime, are there any particular gotchas you'd like to share with the readers? Where did you learn how to use them? Is there documentation in the WDSC help text? Joe

Comment

forwarded it on to the Admin group. Thanks again, Gerry

Comment

I am following your article as a Tutorial on debugging in WDSc. My problem is when running the debugger, I don't see the code lines. It is stepping thru something called CALLMATH.STATEMENT and is just listing each statement number, not displaying the source. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Comment

Hi, Joe Great article. New to WDSc. I can make it through to setting the breakpoint but when I double-click, nothing happens. Do I have something set incorrectly? As information, we do not have and will not have WebSphere Application Server...just the WDSc. Could that be making a difference? I ask because I have no knowledge of WAS at this point. Thanks for any assistance.

Comment

I had the same problem. If you Right Click in that area there is a selection to Add Breakpoint at the bottom of the list. That produced a breakpoint for me.

Comment

Joe, I found the article very helpful. I've been trying to get into the debugger and had no luck till now. But I'm not real familar with RPG Free (or even RPG IV for that matter) and would like to solve the error about the receiver being to small. Thanks, Alison

Comment

I don't have that option on the context menu.

Comment

Working...
                              X