Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaving WebSphere: Happy New Year!

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: Happy New Year! **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Weaving WebSphere: Happy New Year! **

Weaving WebSphere: Happy New Year!

What I would really like to see is a single user version of i5/OS that can be installed on an Apple Powerbook. This could be used by independant developers and even sales people who are at a customer site. I know there are some serious technical questions to answer (virtual OS's, Dual Boot, etc). James W.

Comment

Well, now that Microsoft is blatantly trying to move iSeries customers to Windows boxes, I think it's time that IBM countered. A pure OS/5-OS/X (would that be OS/5X?) solution would have SO many bases covered: 1. A native GUI for the iSeries, and a damned good one at that. 2. Instant reduction of the security holes - an OS/5X combination would be far more secure than any Windows-damaged network. 3. No more MS licensing fees! What a wonderful world. Joe

Comment

This may be a stretch, but I think the usefulness of OS/400 and the AS/400 as host for multiple operating systems (Unix progenies AIX, Linux, and Joe's suggested Mac OS/X) could best be leveraged by treating AS/400 internal buses as internal buses rather than an internal TCP/IP network and making OS/400 an object based file system to mount in the Unixes. This is the opposite of OS/400 as some kind of simplistic administration shell for the Unixes or whatever it is that IBM is doing to us. This mounting of OS/400 as a local drive would also be leveraged by programs running in OS/400 being considered as stored procedures or something along those lines over DB2/400, but I don't know how real stored procedures in OS/400 would then be treated. I think the value of the OS/400 object based file system has been completely lost by IBM at this point. Treating it as a secure and highly efficient data access file system accessed as native mounts from AIX,Linux, and OS/X partitions would creat a valuable and unique Unix solution with all the Unix shells and interfaces as wrappers around OS/400 rather than the other way around. The OS/400 CL command line would become another Unix shell. It's all on the same box. I think it can be done. I think that's a real value proposition for OS/400 going forward and I agree, Joe, accessing it through OS/X would be killer. rd

Comment

While running i5/OS on a Mac is an interesting idea, I think that there are enough architectural challanges present to keep this idea from seeing the light of day. What gets me is that IBM announced (last year) that they were spending $1 bil+ to promote software development on their platforms but seemed to have largely ignored the iSeries platform. When I visit the IBM Developer World site, there are very slim pickings for iSeries software development tools. Hello? IBM? Why do I need to spend $25,000+ to setup an AS/400 so that I can write software which promotes your platform? Why not add an entry level iSeries developer package to Developer World which includes host development tools (RPG, COBOL, SQL) as well as middleware??? Regards, Terry

Comment

Yes, I agree that the IBM development tools are expensive. I also hate the ever-changing rules about what you have access to. There was a VERY nasty bait and switch not too long ago where IBM was pushing one of the "value" packages, but not telling anyone that the package was basically going to lose most of its features shortly. On the other hand, I think IBM does a pretty good job for iSeries developers with the ability to get a PID machine. If you're truly developing software for the iSeries, you can get a very nice machine for a very reasonable price. I think it's about 1.75% of list per month, or something like that. So a $20,000 machine might cost you $350 a month. That's not too bad. Isn't Microsoft about $3000 a year for a full license to their tools? That's $250 a month, just for software. However, I agree with you; I think IBM would do better if they'd focus a little more attention on developers. Joe

Comment

Working...
            X