Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaving WebSphere: WDSC6, Take One

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: WDSC6, Take One **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Weaving WebSphere: WDSC6, Take One0

Weaving WebSphere: WDSC6, Take One

I am a RPG programmer. I support a green screen application. I try to keep our system and my skills update. Is it worth going from 5.1.2 to 6.0 at this time ??

Comment

There really isn't any new features. I have run into a couple of bugs though. The first is that it can't handle color coding from SEU. If you edit a member with colored comments and send it back, you get garbage in the hex fields. IBM is supposed to be working on a fix for this. The other is sometimes it hangs when trying to upload a member. After a timeout, it asks if you want to cancel, even though it updates the member. Maybe that one is just a config problem, but we never had either problems with 5.1.2.

Comment

That's a tough call. I'd say that, as Mike pointed out, there are no real advantages to going to WDSC6. There are a few little things here and there, but in general performance is a little slower and there are a few bugs. If it weren't for the fact that I teach WDSC for a living (not only articles, but seminars and conferences), I would probably wait three or four months for some of the bugs to get squashed. On the other hand, you don't want to get too far behind, because pretty soon support line calls are going to be answered with "have you upgraded to WDSC6 yet?" Joe

Comment

I know this not exactly a fresh thread. WDSC6 does add a couple of things. In debugging for instance, you can do a source level debug with the source open in the LPEX editor. That means the all the enhanced outline, searching, and source-line filtering are available to you while debugging your RPG program. I've also found it more stable than 5.1.2. Of course, my developers are limited in the amount of RAM they have (as well as training in the product) so that could be part of the stability problems we've seen with 5.1.2. btw- It's still slow when you edit CL with syntax checking, but the formatting has been fixed and works great. (Of course CL formatting style can be a matter of personal preference, but I think most of the customizing options needed work well.) I made the switch right before the Fall COMMON conference and I haven't been disappointed. I also develop in COBOL and that's been enhanced, too. But I won't bore you with COBOL details. The only real challenge is applying the updates. These come by way of the 'IBM Rational Product Updater'. It wants to recommend a nearly 1GB download of 'IBM Rational Web Developer' updates. But I spoke with one of the WDSC team developers at COMMON and I was told you can simply deselect the 'Rational Web Developer' updates and accept the update to WDSC. I've done this with no problems (at least not yet ).

Comment

Working...
          X