Weaving WebSphere: RPG in WDSC6 and Beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaving WebSphere: RPG in WDSC6 and Beyond

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: RPG in WDSC6 and Beyond **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Weaving WebSphere: RPG in WDSC6 and Beyond0

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: RPG in WDSC6 and Beyond **
    And we keep gettin’ richer, But we can’t get our picture On the cover of the rolling stone ... Poison

Comment

Joe wrote: "Remember back in the late '90s when all we heard was that vast numbers of companies were tossing out their IBM midranges and migrating from RPG to Java or some other architecture? Isn't it odd that we haven't heard a corresponding number of success stories? You'd think that companies (or at least their migration vendors) would talk up the great success and terrific cost-savings of these ventures, and yet we're not hearing such stories. In fact, I don't remember the last successful conversion I heard of." I take some issue with this, because I still read articles in trade journals of businesses replace, old, legacy as400 systems with the latest and greatest. I have NOT read anything recently where microsoft/wintel was tossed and Iseries installed. Ok, so we probably don't read the same things, and what you have written is likely true, I still don't see lots of AS400 success stories in the non IBM trade journals. I'd sure like to believe that RPG will be around for a long time. Maybe when I retire I can do part time consulting, keeping all that RPG code running.

Comment

Dale, I'm not sure what you're taking issue to. I really wasn't talking about Wintel being replaced by iSeries. That's a completely different topic. I'm simply remarking that although there were tons of stories, both reported and through the grapevine, about the iSeries being tossed in favor of a Wintel solution, there have been very few stories about any SUCCESSFUL conversions of this type. My point is that you'd think that if one of these companies that's so busy hyping platform independence or proclaiming the death of RPG actually HAD a successful conversion, they'd be shouting it to the rafters, and yet you hear no such thing. And since there were dozens (maybe hundreds?) of these conversions being hyped over the last decade, that implies that they are either still going on, or have quietly been abandoned. In either case, you aren't going to hear about that in the trade rags, because it means that somebody screwed up bigtime. Even after they see the light, nobody want to admit they were praising the Emperor while he was nekkid. As to Wintel being replaced by iSeries, right now I don't think there are that many stories. Part of that is because there just aren't that many Wintel boxes doing what the iSeries does, and another part is that Microsoft is the IBM of the new millenium: right now, you can't get fired for buying Microsoft. But that is a-changin', and as it does, you should see some stories. And for that, how about this story (the URL is quite ironic): http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9354993/ (This is a little bit of a teaser; they really just consolidated a bunch of Windows boxes into an iSeries rack, but still...) Joe P.S. All said and done, though, Dale, IBM should still be pushing more press on the iSeries. But I think we're going to see that in the next 12 months. Let's watch, shall we?

Comment

The Original by Dr Hook & the Medicine Show was always one of my favorites..... You've Heard the original, Right?? How's the Poison Version stack up ??

Comment

Great ARTICLE !!!! Here is my feedback: ....It is about time someone sticks up for RPG/Free. iSeries server and OS/400 HOWEVER, it my view it must be done "Microsoft Style" i.e. presented like a NEW computer, NEW technology, NEW design, NEW OPERATING SYSTEM (..yes, go ahead and rename OS/400 while you are at it.), NEW PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE (..yes, go ahead and introduce it to the WORLD RPG/Free with a NEW NAME. (Most people outside the RPG community have only seen RPG as a footnote to the words "legacy/fix-format/archaic/report writer" along with a sample code dating to RPG 0.5.) When presented with new coding in free format the worst that can happen is that it is compare to legacy BASIC. ...whoops BASIC is not legacy since it is used by Msoft.) .............It is not about the best product........it is about the best MARKETING !!!!! ..This is just my humble opinion

Comment

IBM have already done some of this (just not very well marketed, as usual) The NEW computer is the i5. The NEW OS is i5/OS (which will never stick. Are they going to rename AIX to p5/OS? I don't think so...) I'll never understand why they didn't at least rename to RPG/5 when they introduced /free. But perhaps they should now. After all, it would fit in nicely with the i5 branding. Chris.

Comment

Can I be the first to start singing Gina's praises? Those /free SQL statements look the business. The horrible mess of compiler directives that are currently required to integrate /free and SQL are a serious bar to adoption of /free, certainly in my shop.

Comment

Hey! I just got an idea! It will position the language perfectly, while at the same time perhaps even extending its appeal to outsiders: DB2/PL. It's a play on SQL/PL, and it stands for DB2 Processing Language. If you think about it, RPG really is THE language for DB2 processing. Okay, today it's DB2/400. But maybe someday it can be extended to DB2 on other platforms. Heck, if your program's I/O is all embedded SQL, it could be ported today with jut a little work on Visual Age for RPG. Wouldn't that be the way to go??? Joe

Comment

The logical name for /free is RPG/5, but in the spirit of IBM changing names willy nilly (no, not /free willy, I won't even go there) ala AS/400/iseries/i5, I'll go with MI/5. Then we can have some discussions about MI and security that I can understand. Seriously though, DB2/PL is a good idea, but IBM would never let something from the AS/400 contaminate their cross-platform DB2 brand, unlike what they did to us to bury the AS/400 in their cross-platform Websphere branding. rd

Comment

Ralph, If history is a guide then MI/5 would be a bad choice. After a few years you will find that your MI/5 header records and key codes are really Unix statements and in some cases have left the program entirely for a different and opposing system. :-) Dave

Comment

Good one David! Could RPG be the /5th man of languages, secretly working to undermine the C/.NET/Java oligopoly? Too bad the analogy breaks down when examined more closely. This thread has lots of interest.

Comment

Joe, I understand better now the point you were trying to make. No one is going to publicize their failures. But I will point out again, there are lots of articles about companies throwing out 'legacy' systems and putting in wintel. When an article appears in the trade press, they want you to assume the project had completed successfully. Otherwise it would not appear in print. The article about Chick's is good. Did it ever appear in Computerworld, Information week, Infoworld, Network Computing? (to list the names of trade rags I have sitting around). ---dale

Comment

I think the key point here is to drop the baggage that comes with the letters RPG (REPORT PROGRAM GENERATOR). People don't want to get pass that. How can a "REPORT GENERATOR" language be used to create state of the art robust applications; is their question. You can spend hours and hours explaining that that was back in the 60's but that the latest RPG/free is not even close to it. Their come back is ..."but still RPG!".

Comment

Hi Dale! No, I'm not sure which magazines published the Chick's article. But more important I think is the recent announcement of iSeries sales. 25% growth! 3000 new customers! Yes, indeed, those who kept proclaiming the demise of the iSeries were a bit premature. Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X