Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaving WebSphere: Oh, Domino!

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: Oh, Domino! **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Weaving WebSphere: Oh, Domino!0

Weaving WebSphere: Oh, Domino!

Personally, I am a bit cynical whenever the power of 'groupware' is mentioned. While I agree with you that the ability of people to work together and collaborate electronically in real time is great, I really wonder about the practical application. Some people like to work, some don't, but look good at looking busy. Groupware provides a written trail, making it harder to get by on looks and by just showing up at the meeting. I think the immediate communication, assumed self motivation of your work mates, and the written trail it leaves behind makes me suspicious of the actual success of any groupware. Please tell me I am wrong, but please support your statement with what you know, not what you believe.

Comment

I guess I'm not certain what you want me to say. What "statement" is it that you want me to support? What I did was provide a relatively thorough presentation of the history of the Lotus products, Domnio and Notes in particular, and their relationship to IBM's WebSphere product line. After 2000 words of that, I then presented a short "blue sky" scenario of where this sort of software might be used. I guess I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with! Joe

Comment

Joe, Your step through history filled me with nostalgia, and it was a good feeling. I worked for a large aerospace company when Lotus was released. It was my favorite tool. Some of my colleagues had been using VisiCalc. Even now, a lot of corporate accounts have stretched Lotus into their personal DBMS, which it's intrinsically not suited for. The same applies to Excel, but the developers keep supporting. I think that in addition to Microsoft and IBM going head to head against each other in the groupware space, it's possible that the industry could be broadsided by a company like Google, if they were to simply offer groupware services "on the grid" so to speak. Nathan.

Comment

Working...
        X