• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: Secret Font Tricks

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Secret Font Tricks **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: Secret Font Tricks0

TechTip: Secret Font Tricks

I'm running 1280x1024 with Large Size fonts. I find this a decent compromise for Windows in general, though it does occasionally cause truncation in some applications, though not in WDSC that I've noticed. For LPEX I use Lucida Console at 8 pts, which gives me 60 lines on a screen. Only downside is that O and 0 are a bit to similar. Lucida San Typewriter at 8 pts is also a good choice, but only gets 52 lines per screen. Either of these fonts gives way more lines than SEU. I believe the Lucida fonts come standard with XP. Sam

Comment

Joe, Thanks for the font tips. I tried a few of the Proggy fonts but the font sizes was too small. I guess my eyes aren't young anymore. :-) If I tried to increase the font size, it was either too big or too blurred (lost crispness). I will stick to Courier New for now. But I do like the idea of bold brackets and a slashed zero. Chris

Comment

As you say, Lucida is nice but not specifically a programmer font (because of the O/0 issue). But vertical spacing is the other important issue and Lucida handles that nicely. Joe

Comment

I definitely noticed with Proggy that they are optimized for a single font size. They do NOT scale well at all. So if the default font size is not good for you, you can forget it. Also, the default font size is not really comparable to other fonts. As I noted in the article, Proggy at 12 point is really equivalent to other fonts at 8 point. The good news, though, is that this is not something you need to do on a regular basis. If you find a font that fits your particular combination of screen resolution and eyesight, you can stick with it for awhile (at least until one changes ). Joe

Comment

Working...
          X