Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weaving WebSphere: Visual Studio vs. Eclipse (Round 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaving WebSphere: Visual Studio vs. Eclipse (Round 1)

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: Visual Studio vs. Eclipse (Round 1) **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Weaving WebSphere: Visual Studio vs. Eclipse (Round 1)0

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: Visual Studio vs. Eclipse (Round 1) **
    Joe: I can't help with the VPN problem. But repeated ping's seems like a fairly simple task. I haven't tried running this program, but it seems like about 5 lines of Python code should do it:
     import os import time while 1: p = os.popen("ping -q -c1 192.168.100.10","r") time.sleep(10) 
    Cheers! Hans

Comment

After looking at the ping manpage, I think you might have an even better option: "ping -q -c 1 -i 10 192.168.200.10". The -i option indicates the wait time between packets. But yeah, repeated ping's is kludgy. Better fix the VPN configuration somehow. Cheers! Hans

Comment

Oh definitely I could do it from the command line, Hans. Thanks for looking up the parms. Of course, I get a kick out of the fact that your first option was Python . But sometimes there are reasons for doing something a particular way, and this seemed like a great way to get into thick client .NET programming. And I was right; I really learned quite a bit about several things: VB6 vs. VB.NET, managed access to COM objects, threading and delegates, not to mention basic understanding of Visual Studio. Joe

Comment

Joe, Interesting article, I look forward to round 2. You mention that you couldn't see how to create other events. If you look at the screen shot for the event code you'll see two drop down's above the code. The right hand one says "Click" with a lightning bolt. If you pull this down you'll see all the possible events for the control. If you click one it takes you to the code, generating a stub subroutine if one does not exist. Regards, Chris.

Comment

You're my hero, Chris! As you can see, I'm trying to learn this by the seat of the pants. Of course, in these days of dwindling education budgets for most of us RPG dinosaurs that's our only option. But that's why these forums are so important. Thanks again! (I notice that the left pulldown has all my form fields, and selecting something on the left gives me the available events on the right. Very, very cool.) Joe

Comment

Joe, Have considered doing a webcast on this topic and many others that you've talked about in the past? Wouldn't it be quicker to prepare a wabcast than to write a complete article? Actually, I would like to see MCPress start putting out webcasts on this and various other topics. I'm sure the readers would enjoy and welcome the new format. Necqui

Comment

Thanks, Necqui. Actually, even though I'm both a writer and a speaker, and to me, it's more work getting a webcast together. Some people are relatively good at webcasts, but I'm way too much of a detail person and I get bogged down in the minutiae. I did a few short movies for WDSC: Step by Step, and even that was quite a feat. But never say never. You can keep trying to convince the powers that be over here. Joe

Comment

Necqui, There are currently two places where you can currently see prerecorded videos and Webcasts on our site. The first is by going to http://webcasts.mcpressonline.com . This site provides you with links to prerecorded Webcasts delivered by a number of our business partner clients. This is a new program that we started late last year, and we'll be adding more as the year goes on. You have to register to view the webcasts, and then a link will be provided to view the particular webcasts that you choose to view. The second place is to go to http://videos.mcpressonline.com . Here you'll find the past video tech tips that we ran last year. There's no registration required for these. This year we have scheduled 8 vendor Webcasts -- available for registration -- and you should periodically check at mcpressonline.webex.com for upcoming events. We also hope to expand the video section going forward, but at the moment have none in the works. If you have specific suggestions for particular topics that might be of interest to you and others, please feel free to email me at feedback@mcpressonline.com Thanks for suggestions. Thomas M. Stockwell Editor in Chief MC Press Online, LP

Comment

Working...
                  X