Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaving WebSphere: EGL and RPG

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: EGL and RPG **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Weaving WebSphere: EGL and RPG **

Weaving WebSphere: EGL and RPG

If you have not done so already, check out my posting to iSeries Network in Feedback for August 2006. Here is the url: http://www.systeminetwork.com/resour...20615&channel= Some folks are great about figuring this stuff by themselves. While others like myself probably do best in a regular course, meeting over period of time, where an instructor is available for help.

Comment

Hi Warren! I'm going to spend some serious time with EGL over the next few weeks trying to answer the question of "what is it good for" but to me, it's already a good fit for quickly knocking together applications that use a JSP front end and an RPG back end. It's quite powerful for creating code, not so good for maintaining it. As to training, the turorials are pretty good to get started, but I agree there's nothing that will really make you an expert. Joe

Comment

Joe, First, thank you for an excellent article on combining an EGL developed front-end with RPG server on the backend. Given the concepts you've presented, I see EGL as having the potential for becoming, at a minimum, my SDA for the WEB. My question for you is what can I do to help you convice the EGL team that what you have laid out in this article is an absolute requirement of this tool? Kind regards, Brian

Comment

Thanks, Brian! I absolutely agree that EGL provides the iSeries a web front end capability that simply hasn't existed until now. And in fact, the concept of "SDA for the Web" is a very good one; for those of us who don't have the time to learn every intricacy of the Web model, I think the best thing to do is to try to use it as it stands, and give input to the development team as necessary. I've already talked with the team and gotten one of my issues resolved; since these are JSF pages, you can get to the FacesContext in a pagehandler which in turn will give you the HTTP session. Library functions aren't yet so smart. In order to pass session data, you would have to pass the Faces context to each one. But that's acceptable to me. Joe

Comment

Working...
          X