Weaving WebSphere: The (Open) World of CMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaving WebSphere: The (Open) World of CMS

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: The (Open) World of CMS **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Weaving WebSphere: The (Open) World of CMS **

** This thread discusses the article: Weaving WebSphere: The (Open) World of CMS **
    http://www.opensourcecms.com/ Visit this site. It offers links to all the open source CMS packages available. The site differentiates them by strength. Some are only for blogs. Others are full service. Many work under both Linux and Windows. Amazon provides books about several popular content management systems. I favored Drupal because of good reviews, popularity, and available documentation from Amazon. For most, you need to become familiar with PHP, Apache and MySQL. PHP has a lot of depth, but you are said to not need to be an expert, or even proficient, to work with a CMS. Apache and MySQL are both fairly easy to use if you have proper documentation. A 21 day book is available that covers AMP pretty well. Like most everything else, why build when you can either download for free or buy? Many high powered CMS programs are available for a price from major vendors. It is said that many of the largest sites you visit use CMS programming and are no longer coded by individuals.

Comment

OpenSourceCMS is a pretty cool site; my only knock on it is that it's a PHP/MySQL site. No mention of Python or Ruby or even Perl, much less Java. I find it interesting that there seems to be a pretty major divide between he Java and PHP camps; I know people who won't touch Java but who insist that PHP is the greatest thing since sliced bread. To me, they're just languages, with strengths and weaknesses like any other language. As to you larger question, it's the whole concept of make vs. buy, which I hope I touched on at least a little bit. You should choose which language(s) you want to support for your mission critical systems before you start making those kinds of choices. This is especially true in the open source world, because in most cases you will end up modifying the system for your specific requirements. If you're a one- or two-man shop, can you really support, say, PHP in addition to everything else you're doing? How does it fit into your tooling, your backups, your change management? How about training, both for the end users of the package and the developers who may have to maintain it? How about updates, fixes and upgrades? Joe

Comment

Wow. This topic has been on my mind lately. I had been thinking about how to get joomla to run in WDSC. I normally wouldn't use WDSC for websites because then I, as the deleloper, am stuck maintaining it. So I use WDSC for some development (iSeries or jsp based) and php for developing websites. I'd like to be able to do it all in one system.

Comment

Working...
        X