TechTip: Two Views of the Same Source Member in WDSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: Two Views of the Same Source Member in WDSC

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Two Views of the Same Source Member in WDSC **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: Two Views of the Same Source Member in WDSC0

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Two Views of the Same Source Member in WDSC **
    The horizontal split option makes the views appear top and bottom just like SEU. Also you can open more than just two views. May be helpful if you need to sync three sections of code. I wonder though can you do this with different members. Say I want the RPG above and the DDS below?

Comment

I tried this as soon as I read the article and found that the submenu didn't have this option - I'm using 6.0.

Comment

I wonder though can you do this with different members. Say I want the RPG above and the DDS below? Yes, open both members in LPEX. Drag the blue DDS member title bar to the bottom of the LPEX window until it turns into a think black down arrow. Release the mouse button. This is in Joe's WDSC book. Chris

Comment

I also cannot see the View...Open New View option, I've got WDSc 6.0.1 installed, and according to the Product Updater I'm not missing any updates, can anyone point me in the right direction as this is one of the few niggles I have left to sort out with WDSc! Thanks.

Comment

I am also running 6.0.1, but I do have the option. Are you in an RPG source when you try it? This is great! I have been holding out on Code/400 for the past year or two just because this feature was missing. No more excuses! I guess it is time to make the switch BTW - The editor responds to some of the same key combinations as Code/400. For example, Ctrl-Alt-Left/Right Arrow switches between Editor panes.

Comment

Try: Window; Preferences; LPEX Editor; Controls. There is a check-box for "Split window for multiple views".

Comment

Cheryl, is the View menu there? If so, are the options there but grayed out? If so, that indicates that the Window/Preferences/LPEX Editors/Controls option is indeed set to not show split windows. Also, the options are only available for RPG and CL, not for DDS (or Java for that matter). If you are trying to edit RPG and you don't even see those options, please tell us what options you do see. Joe

Comment

Russ, like I told Cheryl, it does depend on the source type. I am using the latest version, 6.0.1.1 (actually, I think as of last week I am now officially one release back), and it may have only been introduced in a fairly recent release, so you may want to update your environment. Joe

Comment

Remember, though, that there is a slight difference between seeing two different members in two different windows and seeing two views of the same member. In the latter case, the two views are part of a single tab, and if you close the tab both views close. In effect, the two views split the window that the source member belongs to. It can be a little confusing until you get the hang of it. Joe

Comment

Nope, can't see the view menu at all, all other options are visible/accessible (prompt, select, source, add to snippets, etc), but not view. I've checked the preferences set up for lpex editor/controls and the 'split window for mutliple views' box is ticked. Also, I've tried this with rpg, rpgle and clp source members, but no joy. I also have SoftLanding plug-ins installed so have disabled these to see if that has an effect.

Comment

I would also be interested to know how to upgrade to 6.0.1. I am currently on: IBM Rational Software Development Platform Version: 6.0.0.1 Build id: 20050214_1800 The Software Updates option says there are no updates available ( Phil

Comment

I was unable to see the view option until I upgraded to 6.0.1 To run the updater from within WDSC: Help, Software Updates, IBM Rational Product Updater. You can also get it from a submenu off the IBM Rational menu from your programs menu. The first time I tried to run it I got an "Invalid update site URL" message. After some searching, I discovered that I had to make changes to the proxy settings within websphere and also create a file in the config directory. If you also have that problem and post a message here, I can tell you exactly what I did and where it needs to be done. Also keep in mind that the update took a very long time to run.

Comment

Sounds like the same problem. I made a change to my proxy settings but that seemed to have no effect. Maybe I need the config file? Can you post the details of what you did.

Comment

Found out how to do this now - by looking in the help!

Comment

Working...
                              X