JOBLOG PENDING message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JOBLOG PENDING message

Did you cancel the job using ENDJOB or ENDJOBABN? Usually you won't get a JOBLOG PENDING unless you use ENDJOBABN. In any case, the job should go officially to "end" status at the next IPL. Joe

JOBLOG PENDING message

Joe, We did cancel the job that way. Further investigation revealed that the JOBD that these two jobs run with have the LOGOUTPUT parameter set to *PND. This is what is sent from IBM. Any reason we should not change it to *JOBEND? Also, any ideas why the DUMP is not getting produced for this job? Thank you! Doug

Comment

JOBLOG PENDING message

I can't think of a good reason to use *PND rather than *JOBEND; I've never set a JOBD up that way. As to the dump output, that's beyond me. Is it possible that you canceled the spooled files when you canceled the job? Other than that, I'm not sure how you could take a D option and not see the output. BTW, you say a D option is taken. Is that a manual action, or is it done by the system? Joe

Comment

JOBLOG PENDING message

Is the dump taken for a called program? Dave

Comment

JOBLOG PENDING message

Joe, Are you saying that you normally use *JOBEND for that parameter in the JOBD? *JOBEND is the value in QLOGOUTPUT. Do you know why IBM sets some of these job descriptions to *PND? The "D" option is manually taken by me. We have had times in the past where a PARTIAL dump was generated by the "D", and the issue was that the user did not have authority to create a dump. But, when that happened, there was an entry in the joblog (or the dump itself) indicating that. This time, there is no entry in the joblog, nor no entry in the spool file list for this job, so I am very perplexed as to what happened to the dump. According to others in the department, this has happened before and no one knows why. Any ideas from you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated! Thank you again for your time! Doug

Comment

JOBLOG PENDING message

Yes. Program A calls Program B, and program B gets the divide by zero message, which is answered with a "D". Then program "A" gets a message saying it has ended with an error, and also is responded to with a "D". But no DUMP is created for either program.

Comment

JOBLOG PENDING message

No, Doug, I simply mean I've never used LOGOUTPUT at all. As far as I know, it's a new option with V5R4 and I've never played with it. I'm still at a loss as to the dump output problem... I wish I could offer more help! Joe

Comment

JOBLOG PENDING message

I've never encountered a situation where a dump is requested but not produced. At this point in time, I would call IBM support. Dave

Comment

JOBLOG PENDING message

We have an RPG program that interacts with another server. The other server has an SQL program that communicates with the i5 RPG program. There is code in the RPG program (I did not write it), that turns on Halt Indicator H1 when a chain fails to a date definition file. The chain failed, and H1 is turned on. The RPG program returns an error condition back to SQL (which is what I'd expect). However, the problem becomes apparent when there is an divide by zero condition in the program (which is a forced condition when H1 is on and is specifically coded that way to force an error). The job log gets the RNQ0102, RNX0102, and RNQ0202 error (attempt to divide by zero), and the D option is taken. However, a dump is never produced, and no message exists in the job log to indicate why. The job was cancelled *IMMED, and now I get a JOBLOG PENDING as the status. If I press F1 on the status column, all I can read is that the job is waiting for completion of the job log, but it does not say WHY is it waiting, or what it is waiting for. At this point the job has been sitting in JOBLOG PENDING for at least 1/2 hour. Has anyone experienced this before? Thank you, Doug

Comment

JOBLOG PENDING message

The idea of the new values is that the job can end while another system job finished writing the joblog. This avoids the long "job is ending" status on the cancelled job. Quote from What's New V5R4: The job log pending state has been available for many years. When a job log is in a job log pending state, no job log is produced. With the release of V5R4 the iSeries™ Navigator Job Properties - Job Log window has been enhanced so that you can now control how and under what circumstances the job log for a specific job will be produced. If you prefer the character-based interface, the Work with Job Logs (WRKJOBLOG) command is a new command that you can use to manage job logs. When this command is run, the Work with Job Logs screen is displayed. From this screen you can display job logs, delete job logs, work with spooled files, and work with the job that is associated with the job log. In the job description, the new attribute LOGOUTPUT specifies whether the job log is produced by the job log server, by the job itself, or not produced at all. If the job description specifies *SYSVAL for the LOGOUTPUT value, then the new Job log output (QLOGOUTPUT) system value is used to control how a job log is produced.

Comment

Working...
                    X