retrieving tiff file attributes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retrieving tiff file attributes

The ATTR command won't help; it gives you information about the file, not interpret the bits inside the file itself. A couple of approaches come to mind: 1. Research the internal format of TIFF files, determine where the number of pages is kept (or what bytes say "new page"), and read the streamfile (in an RPG program?) to find out the number of pages. 2. Use a PC-based imaging program to determine the TIFF attributes. Many programs allow batch operations; point them to a folder and they'll process everything they find. They may allow you to rename the files as part of the batching, based on the attributes of the files. It's not an uncommon requirement. Or maybe they can output a text file listing the image attributes of each TIFF.

In a folder on my IFS, I have several hundred *.TIF files. I'm writing a program to convert these so that they can be viewed by a new document imaging system. To do this, I have to rename each item, copy to a different folder, and then build an index. The first two, I've accomplished with no problem. The third is the problem, one of the fields I need to populate in the index file is the number of pages within each TIF file. Will the ATTR command in qshell provide this information? Any suggestions? ETA - If there's no way to determine the number of pages from the file attributes, is there a way to split a TIF file with multiple pages into separate TIF files with one page each?

Comment

Take a look at http://www.tiff-counter.co.uk/tiff-tools/ . They have a tiff counter you can download free. You can point it to a directory and it will build a file containing the various attributes of the tif images. HTH, Joe

Comment

Working...
      X