Fat Folder Finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat Folder Finder

Just off the top of my head, hasn't been tested, but just recompiling the logical file FLR002W4 with the change to key of ODOBSZ DESC below, then recompiling RPG program that uses it will produce the report of all files by largest to smallest size instead of by name order, looks like to me. I didn't see enough in a quick glance to see what it takes to do same by folder. Nice to see his work from 1992 is still useful. rd
    Code

Fat Folder Finder

Thanks RD, I tried your suggestion but then the RPG program will not compile I get the following error. See below.
    Code

Comment

Fat Folder Finder

Aureas wrote: > I am using the Fat Folder Finder that was posted on this site by > Charlie Mclean on 8/1/92. I know its been a long time, but it works > for me. I am new at this shop and I'm trying to clean up QDOC lib > which is over 174GB in size. My problem is that I do not know how to > program and need your help, my boss wants the report created by this > program to be in order by Doc Size as opposed to Folder Name. The > article with the code can be found at sysop "Fat Folder Finder" > 8/1/92 1:01am The big problem is that you don't know how to program, I'm curious why your boss is leaving out in the wind regarding this instead of having someone at your office help you. Regardless, here are 2 options you might try that involve little or a different type of programming: 1) Take the spool file that is generated from this report and create a text file on your PC from it. Operations Navigator makes this a quite simple exercise. From this text file, you should be able to import it either into a spreadsheet program or a database program. Then you can sort and print however you want. 2) Comment out the last 2 ClrPFM commands in the CL program (using a leading /* and a trailing */). This will leave the data created during the utility still residing in the files. You can then use some type of Query tool, either Query/400 itself or something like MS/Query to download the data directly into Excel. 3) If all of the folders are "visible" from a PC, get a program such as SequoiaView. This program will display in a graphical format folder and file utilization of either a disk or a folder. Take a look at the screen shots at: http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/ and you'll see that it makes identification of the location of the largest files a piece of cake. Be warned that something like this program will likely run for quite some time when accessing the QDOC structures. Ralph's idea would likely work, but it would require overhauling the logic to read the Object size file first, then chaining to the description file. This I wouldn't recommend for your skill level. Bill

Comment

Fat Folder Finder

Sorry about that, Aureas. I looked at the RPG and unfortunately the other logical is used for printing order and this one just for lookup of size. I will look tonight at it for a minimal change to reverse that. With a few lines of code, output could be to a temp workfile and then print in size order within folder from that. Shouldn't take much to do. Just undo the change I suggested. Thanks. rd

Comment

Fat Folder Finder

Thank you Ralph, You are a lifesaver. I'll undo the changes from this morning. Aurea

Comment

Fat Folder Finder

Hi Bill, Thank you for your suggestion. I had tried putting the spool file in to an excel spreadsheet, but there was a small problem with it. When I tried to total the columns at the bottom they did not add up to the same totals from the report. Very strange because the totals from the report do match what the library has and I double checked the spread sheet for accuracy. Aurea

Comment

Fat Folder Finder

I agree with Bill overall, Aurea. The feature that may not be easily found elsewhere is the aging calculation on the files. That's pretty significant in determining if a large file is still being accessed. But in Excel you could show files in size order and older than a certain date, or highlight older files in different colors with a macro. So for multiple reasons, you should get this data working in a spreadsheet anyway. For it not to add up correctly is a red flag overall. You might try isolating to just one folder and comparing figures and totals for that folder to start with. Also, I will post the lines to comment out below. The data will stay to be queried or accessed and is cleared at start of next run anyway. Any number of reporting options would then be available against the two work files. Also you might double check whether spool file listing file sizes add up correctly to the total in the listing, or just where the file size sums seem to go wrong in your spreadsheet. Let us know what you find. rd
              Code

Comment

Fat Folder Finder

** This thread discusses the Content article: Fat Folder Finder **

Comment

Fat Folder Finder

Thank you all for your suggestions. The spread sheet totals are different than the program because somehow the program is totaling the allocated size of everything in the QDLS library. The report only lists folders with documents in it, that's where the difference comes in. I kind of like to see the total of the library besides each folder's total in the detail. The allocated size and the document size are different fields and different totals too. I'll run it by my boss and see what he wants, hopefully he just wants the total size of the folders. Thank you all again. Aurea

Comment

Working...
                  X