Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: Messages with Pizzazz!

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Messages with Pizzazz! **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: Messages with Pizzazz! **

TechTip: Messages with Pizzazz!

I had played around with this once before. Support for attribute bytes in a message is variable, depending on what is displaying the message. It works with status messages. Messages sent to IBM functions (such as the *ESCAPE example), depend on the program. While testing I found that PDM shows the attributes, but a menu (such as MAIN), does not. Sending to a queue, and then DSPMSG, also doesn't work. DSPMSG replaces the attribute bytes with RI blocks, and it all shows up as normal (green). On the positive side, the list of attribute values is documented in the DDS Reference: Display Files, under the DSPATR keyword. Use the table for nonprotected fields (x'20' through x'3F'). The other table gets converted to displayable characters; e.g., x'A0' is ~ (tilde), and x'A1' is µ (LC mu).

Comment

I have had this posted on my bulletin board for some time: Color Code Attributes For 5250 Displays Green 20,21,24,25 White 22,23,26 Red 28,2E Turquoise 30,31,34,35 Yellow 32,33,36 Pink 38,39,3C,3D Blue 3A,3B,3E
      Code

Comment

I started using this back in 1986 or so when Greg Veal published an article on doing this in "Q38 Technical Journal". It is interesting that IBM hasn't done much with it todate. The courious thing to me, however is that the author of this TNT article uses the BLINK attribute in the example--the very thing user interface designers say not to use. Oh well, doesn't matter as blink is converted into RED on most display nowadays anway. Fun article!

Comment

Here's where different size fonts become useful in 5250 land. For instance you could send a message that says: Are you going to blow itagain? Dave

Comment

I hesitate to use explicit colors in code. With users constantly changing their screen colors, important messages with explicit colors may be hard to read, or even indistinguishable from the background.

Comment

John Driscoll said: "I hesitate to use explicit colors in code. With users constantly changing their screen colors, important messages with explicit colors may be hard to read, or even indistinguishable from the background." That's why we should get rid of PCs and go back to the old 5250 dumb terminals. That way they CAN'T change the colors. -dan

Comment

Daniel Stephens wrote: That's why we should get rid of PCs and go back to the old 5250 dumb terminals. Welllll, , , , at least it would prevent the users "X"ing out of their sessions. Dave

Comment

I used colored messages for some time prior to posting codes on: ukpi1b "Add color to messages" 10/23/02 11:44am Issak Brender "TechTip: Same Screen, New Colors" 12/13/02 9:35am While it brings some excitement to programmers, it is less appreciated by most users and management. For expended list of hex values check http://www.as400pro.com/servlet/sql....2&category=RPG

Comment

Working...
                  X