OS level and save file compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS level and save file compatibility

We currently have an iSeries server running at V5R1 which needs file updates from a server running V5R4, which of course is too many releases ahead. What we are doing right now is to temporarily copy the files to an intermediate server running V5R3, we restore the objects from the save file and resave them to V5R1 compatibility, then copy them to the V5R1 server using an ftp script. However, we have been given a directive to upgrade the V5R3 and V5R4 servers to V6R1, which will make our work around stop working. There is no possibility of upgrading the V5R1 server because of its processor.

Is there any other way to copy data over between systems without running into the save file problem? The update occurs every two hours through the day, so it needs to be fairly lean on system resources.

I believe you are using the v5r3 machine to get your v5r4 "file updates" to a v5r1 machine but the last part "copy them to the v5r1 server using an ftp script" is all you need to be doing from the v5r4 and soon to be v6r1 machine.

Your common ground between all OS levels is ftp. When OS level backward compatibility is unreliable, (making all the various ways to share data between i systems, including snads, savefiles, object save/restore, DDM, ICF, and DRDB (SQL access) to name a few unreliable).

You have ftp as the common ground between basically all computer systems to get files from one system to another. Translate that as: flat-file out, flat-file in.

Good Luck, I think you already have it...just skip the tweener machine and go directly at the v5r1 machine w/ftp script.

Comment

Thanks, I'll do that. I didn't realize I could send DB2 files via ftp.

Comment

Sure thing...And in this case you can go ebcdic to ebcdic. Most other outbound interfaces where ftp is employed to a non-i system, you gotta flatten out any packed decimals first and send it as ascii text. All good. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X