How to get a USB connected Epson POS printerto work for slip printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get a USB connected Epson POS printerto work for slip printing

I've got an Epson TM-H6000III connected to my XP PC via USB that I've been trying to get to work for some time now. The receipt and slip printing are set up on the PC as two separate printers. I've gotten the receipt print to work and perform printer functions, but the slip printing continues to reroute back over to the receipt print. It appears to be happening internally within the printer since the slip printer on my PC is receiving the document. Has anyone run across this or have any ideas on what to attempt? Here's my setup so far:

1. Printer drivers installed on PC - this created 2 different printers (1 for each function)
    2. Two printer sessions through Client Access routing to matching printers of the same name. Host Print Transform specified, but no specific printer identified.
    3. RPG program using print file (print file compiled RPLUNPRT(*NO))
    4. Device description for printers has WSCST(*NONE)

If I create a notepad document, and print to the slip printer, the slip printer works. Printing to this printer from the AS/400, it does not. I paused the printer to verify that it was being routed to the proper printer on my PC and it is. I've also removed any hex commands I was using for printer functions, so the spooled file is straight text and nothing else.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by get_sporty; 07-05-2011, 05:11 PM.

T've now found that host print transform (HPT) without specifing a printer works great for the receipt print on the Epson. For the slip print, however, not so much. Toying around with the HPT printer as well as turning HPT off is now printing through the slip. Looks like it's just a matter of finding the right HPT printer or not using HPT. Unfortunately, by not using HPT, you lose out on being able to send hex commands to the printer.

Comment

Create a wscst for the pos printer.

Comment

I've got the receipt print and slip print working. Here's the steps in case anyone else has this problem (for Epson TM-H6000 hybrid receipt printer):

Programming:
        1. download the "Epson ESC/POS Programming Guide" for a reference of valid printer commands (PDF download if you Google search).
        2. For the receipt printer commands, use the Hex value (e.g. for Initialize Printer (ESC @), set the variable to x'1B40')
        3. Use a print file for the output, using the keyword TRNSPY on the printer command and SPACEA(0) so no line advance occurs.
        4. When printing, do an OVRPRTF command over the print file, using the RPLUNPRT(*NO) setting and route it to the proper outq.

We only have basic needs, so I didn't have to mess with the font throughout the receipt print, but here's what I used:
        At the top of the receipt:
        Initialize (ESC @) use X'1B40'
        Standard Mode (ESC S) use X'1B53'
        Height 3 Font (GS !) use X'1B2102'

At the bottom of the receipt:
        Print and Feed (ESC J) use X'1B4A00'
        Partial Cut (ESC i) use X'1B69'

I found that if I tried to use hex commands in the slip printing, the print would reroute over to the receipt print, so any font size manipulation had to be in the OVRPRTF command.

The receipt and slip prints have to be set up as separate output queues, so you need two printer sessions open at the same time. Creating the printer sessions will create the output queues.

Setting up the printer on the PC:
        1. Google search for the name of your printer and "driver". I found the TM-H6000 from the following site:
        Epson POS and Discproducer Products Technical Information

2. Start installing the driver, selecting "...Receipt" for the first printer and piggyback the "...Slip" printer on the same port as the receipt printer. Name both printers 10 log or less since these will be the names of your printers/output queues on the iSeries.

Adding the printer session for receipt printing:
        1. On your PC, open the Start menu and navigate to Client Access Add or Configure Session.
        (Programs> IBM iSeries Access for Windows> Emulator> Start or Configure Session)
        2. To create a printer session for use with your receipt printer, click New Session.
        3. Select your iSeries from System Name.
        4. Click Specify workstation ID and assign it the name used for installing the receipt printer.
        5. Under Type of Emulation, click Printer, then click Setup…
        6. Select Transform print data to ASCII on iSeries.
        7. Select *NONE as the printer model from the drop down list.
        8. For Drawer 1 and Drawer 2, select None from the drop down list.
        9. Deselect Printer supports ASCII code-page 899.
        10. Click OK.
        11. Click OK again.
        12. Be sure to save the session

Adding the printer session for slip printing:
        1. On your PC, open the Start menu and navigate to Client Access Add or Configure Session.
        (Programs> IBM iSeries Access for Windows> Emulator> Start or Configure Session)
        2. To create a printer session for use with your validation printer, click New Session.
        3. Select your iSeries from System Name.
        4. Click Specify workstation ID and assign it the name used for installing the validation printer.
        5. Under Type of Emulation, click Printer.
        6. Click OK.
        7. Be sure to save the session

If the printer doesn’t seem to do anything, check for any messages in your spooled files to insert a standard form (answer with a 'G') and that your printer sessions are open. The first time using, your printer session will also ask which printer to use.

A couple trial and errors and you should be able to get it up and going.
        Last edited by get_sporty; 07-29-2011, 09:15 AM.

Comment

IBM publishes info on printers from various manufacturers which can be attached to the iSeries.
          Check out document 21800326, titled "Information on Printers from Epson". It includes reference to the TM-H6000III.

Comment

Working...
          X