Problems with data transfer - Client Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with data transfer - Client Access

Not to minimize your difficulties, but I have not seen this problem with client access transfer program. As a substitute you could use the CPYTOIMPF file to create a flat text file on the IFS. If the directory is defined as a virtual drive to the PC, your users can access it from that point. Dave

We have a call out with IBM. The data transfer works fine with alpha characters. However if the DDS has anything that is zoned numeric, it will add an extra character on the field. For example if I have employee number set as 8S 0 in the DDS, when it comes down through data transfer it is now 9 long. To get around this, since some of our boxes have security in place where FTP will not work, I am duplicating the DDS and making all fields character. Dump into file and transfer down to PC.

Comment

Resolved. It's a design feature to capture + or - in the numeric fields. Claim it's always been this way, however I have multiple facilities, all on V5R4M0 or better, with NO problems. It downloads the file as a flat ASCII file. Just now all of a sudden it doesn't do this anymore. IBM response. "It is working as intended. Create a flat file and copy the file in error into, and download that one. Now it'll remain a flat fixed length file" hmmm

Comment

I have noticed a change in client access data transfer function and it is now causings our clients some problems. What is occuring is that I have a payroll file that is being downloaded from the I-Series down to the PC as a flat text file. This file is then sent to the bank for processing. This file on the I-series is in a DDS format with each field speced. For instance, hospital number is position 1 - 3. Employee number is 4 - 10, and so on. Data trasfer worked fine months ago. Now all of a sudden this is no longer the case. When it brings the file down now, employee number starts in position 2 - 4. Employee number starts in position 5 - 12. When I DSPFFD the file on the 400, everything is like it should. However somewhere in the process of transmitting the file down to the PC it fubars. Anyone else experienced this and how did you resolve it? Currently for most of our clients, I have already have a process in place that will FTP the file down instead of using data transfer. I may have to implement this. HOwever a few boxes FTP is not an option due to security reasons (multi facility boxes). Therefore I need data transfer to function properly. Help 911 Thanks

Comment

This is generally uncharacteristic of IBM, , , ,unless file transfer was deliberately changed in V5R4 to add this "feature." Check the read me documentation for V5R4 and see if anything is mentioned about this for iseries access. Dave

Comment

Working...
          X