Processor Sharing in AS400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processor Sharing in AS400

Turn them on? Maybe they are talking about CoD (Capacity on Demand). Processors are idle until you pay IBM to activate them and when the system hits certain CPU threshhold, the processors go active temporarily and IBM sends you a bill $, for using CoD. I think the purpose was to help with month end, year end processing. Chris

Thanks Chris for your response. I would like to mention that all the 10processors are functioning and active. Now that all the processors are active and the load is only one processor, how do I share it among the rest 9processors.

Comment

I believe you are confusing processor capability with memory. To my knowledge you can only share processors between partitions. For more information, I suggest you go to the information center at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/, select the operating system and in the search window enter "processor sharing".

Comment

I think this was just a question to see how you answer something that you don't know. How you reacted. As a programmer, you don't care about the # of processors, the type of processors, etc on the iSeries. If some are not running, it's an operations issue. That's the beauty of the iSeries. The SLIC insulates you from the hardware. You don't care what the hardware is, as long as it's an iSeries / AS400 / i5. If they completely change the processors on a system upgrate with a new instruction set, your programs will still run as is. That's called preserving your software investment. Chris

Comment

Basically, if your batch job is SQL, you need to ensure that you have the [chargeable] SMP feature of i5/OS installed and set System Value QQRYDEGREE to *OPTIMIZE or *MAX. If your job is not SQL, you either need to split the batch jobs into multiple parallel streams or rewrite the code to multi-thread. Bill

Comment

In a recent Interview that I attended, I had a strange question. can any one help me out in answering this? The issue is mentioned below. There are 10processors in an iSeries Server. I have a submitted a job which is running in QBATCH subsystem. It is utilizing 100% of only 1processor. Rest all the 9processors are lying idle. my questions: How do I check which processor is taking the complete load. How do I share the load between the rest 9Idle processors.

Comment

An ordinary job has only one thread, so it will not use more than one processor. See the Pthread APIs in the Information Center.

Comment

Working...
              X