Vista and Client Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista and Client Access

It seems to me that the 'current' release at Vista's GA will be V5R4 - that would be the only release that I would 'expect' IBM to change to support Vista . . . anything prior to V5R4 would be a bonus . . . Actually, I'm surprised that IBM support would even talk to you about a product that is not currently available for purchase. Steve "2ndTim" <2ndTim@mcpressonline.com> wrote in message news:6b3cd931.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > I've just installed Vista RC2 build 5744. > > I've also found out from the support gurus in Rochester that if you have > Vista and V5R3 that IBM is making an announcement that there are > incompatibilities that will not be taken into considersation to be fixed. > In essence, we're out of luck. We will have to upgrade to V5R4 before > Vista will be covered with Client Access. > > This really burns me up. I pay for support, and find it unagreeable that a > supported release will not be covered by a new release of Microsoft's > operating system. Time to rally the troops ... Let's tell IBM that Vista > is coming about the November time frame, and that all supported versions > of the OS need to be covered by Vista.

Vista and Client Access

Just because MICROSOFT's upgrade schedule has Vista coming in Nov. doesnt mean IBM has to jump through hoops for you. Lets step back: Vista's GA is actually set for January. Only corporate users will be able to get this in November. Now tell me one responsible corporate CIO that will install a new OS the day it is released? It is not just IBM software that needs to pass compatability tests, There are many others that will essentially cause Vista's installation to be delayed.

Comment

Vista and Client Access

Perhaps there is some misunderstanding here. I think what IBM is saying is that the client software version -- i.e. iSeries Access for Windows -- will need to be at V5R4 to be supported on a Vista PC. The OS/400 version of your iSeries boxes, which you use your Vista PC running iSeries Access for Windows V5R4 client on, need not be upgraded. I think IBM supports running iSeries Access for Windows at level "n" to connect to servers running OS/400 at level "n-2" (you can verify with IBM Service or perhaps via ibm.com). If I am right, your iSeries boxes could remain at V5R3M0 of i5/OS (or even V5R2M0!), while you upgrade your clients on Vista PCs to version V5R4M0 of iSeries Access for Windows, and you'd still have a fully-supported solution. If you don't know how to get a version of iSeries Access for Windows greater than the version of OS/400 you are running, ask IBM or search ibm.com. Does that help clarify things?

Comment

Vista and Client Access

Did IBM say it wouldn't work or that it just wasn't supported? Our iSeries is at V5R3 and we have many CA clients that have V4R3 of CA on them. IBM doesn't support this but it works just fine. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "2ndTim" <2ndTim@mcpressonline.com> wrote in message news:6b3cd931.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > I've just installed Vista RC2 build 5744. > > I've also found out from the support gurus in Rochester that if you have > Vista and V5R3 that IBM is making an announcement that there are > incompatibilities that will not be taken into considersation to be fixed. > In essence, we're out of luck. We will have to upgrade to V5R4 before > Vista will be covered with Client Access. > > This really burns me up. I pay for support, and find it unagreeable that a > supported release will not be covered by a new release of Microsoft's > operating system. Time to rally the troops ... Let's tell IBM that Vista > is coming about the November time frame, and that all supported versions > of the OS need to be covered by Vista.

Comment

Vista and Client Access

I've just installed Vista RC2 build 5744. I've also found out from the support gurus in Rochester that if you have Vista and V5R3 that IBM is making an announcement that there are incompatibilities that will not be taken into considersation to be fixed. In essence, we're out of luck. We will have to upgrade to V5R4 before Vista will be covered with Client Access. This really burns me up. I pay for support, and find it unagreeable that a supported release will not be covered by a new release of Microsoft's operating system. Time to rally the troops ... Let's tell IBM that Vista is coming about the November time frame, and that all supported versions of the OS need to be covered by Vista.

Comment

Vista and Client Access

Interesting proposition ... I've never considered that.

Comment

Working...
            X