iSeries programming education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iSeries programming education

Mindleaders.com offer a wide variety of education including JAVA and Microsoft stuff. I went through the class for JAVA Programmer Certification Prep and came up a little short, but consider it a valuable resource. Our local community college has on-line non-credit classes that cover similar material, but we haven't went that route yet. However, I'd be interested in additional feedback you get from others just to see what else might be available.

Another programmer from my firm and I recently attended RPG World and found it very useful. There were several courses on web development, the IFS, using java with RPG, SQL, etc. One of the things I liked best about RPG World was that the class sizes were smaller than Commons. This made interaction with the instructors much easier. It also made it easier to network with other attendees. The instructors are some of the "big names" in RPG and they were always willing to answer any questions I had, both during and right after class. I believe the next conference in is April. I would recommend looking into it and see if they offer anything that you might think is useful.

Comment

I was just wondering what people are doing these days for iSeries programming education. In the past I've attended COMMON but, I fell like these days I would like to attend some other types of classes that are more focused on one topic like JAVA, Websphere, or Web development. We have some new books that I could read, but I find that it's sometimes better to get out of the office and away from all of the daily distractions to be able to really learn. I was thinking of maybe looking into some IBM classes. Has anyone taken any IBM classes? What is everyone else doing out there? I've been told we have some education dollars in our MIS budget but, I want to make sure we get a chance to use them. I want to let my supervisor know what I would like to do for education next year.

Comment

I've tried Mindleaders, and I did gain some knowledge. I've also tried confereneces (e.g. RPG World, Common, etc), and they definitely have some advantages. But, IMHO, the best way to really learn it (at least for me) is taking classes at the local community college. It's amazingly inexpensive, and it "forces" you to focus on the subject for several weeks. I find that I learn the subject much more "in depth" and I come out of the class actually being able to produce something useful. A "one-day" or even "one-week" course can be a good crash-course introduction, but I can't absorb most subjects "in completeness" in that short of a time. As with anything, you receive back in direct proportion to the effort you expend. If you put more into it, you'll get more from it. Just my two cents .... Dave

Comment

Working...
        X