WDSc installation problems (Eclipse)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDSc installation problems (Eclipse)

I had the same error message when installing on 2 different WIN2K machines. I called IBM support and they said it was lack of memory on the pcs. They recommend a minimum of 256k and the pcs I was installing on only had 128k. I installed WDSC on a XP machine with a gig of memory and it runs fine.

Thanks a lot, Scott. I'll try it on a different machine. :-)

Comment

In following the installations steps outlined by Joe Pluta, I too experienced this problem when trying to open a workspace to apply Fix Pack 5.0.1. A quick call to IBM support identified the cause as being a small memory configuration. Apparently 128 isn't enough. While memory is relatively inexpensive these days, the need to upgrade simply to support WDSc 5.0 didn't seem to be justification enough. That said, and my Irish ancestry, I began to investigate ways to simply apply the fixpack. Interestingly enough, my "determination" identified that, by simply launching ECLIPSE.exe, I was able to successfully initialize/open a workspace. Given the extremely heavy footprint required by WDSc 5.0, I have no plans to use it (at this time), however, should I need to, I can use WDSc 5.0 by simply launching the ECLIPSE executable. Appears the error message presented is "self imposed". Oh, one last thing, with 128 MB of memory, you can watch the first quarter of a football game before ECLIPSE opens the workspace.

Comment

I just read this post I posted a an inquiry about the same problem. I too only have 128 meg and am very dishearted. The fact that WDSC 5.0 requires your system to have 256 meg of memory sounds kind of fishy to me. Why would I need so much memory to run 1 function. What will happen if I use a lot of different functions at the same time? Will WDSC 5.0 not work because there is not enough memory? What about virtual memory? How much actual memory does WDSC 5.0 actually use? Isn't it bad programming to basically require us to upgrade all our pc's memories (doubling them) just for 1 application? I don't do any webshere developement at this time but want to learn eventually, on the other hand I do use Code 400 and VARPG. I can live without using the Webshere component but how am I supposed to install the service packs (other than executing the eclipse executable). I think IBM should reconsider how they wrote the utility. It might not be cost effective to some very large MIS shops (or even some small ones that are on very tight budgets).

Comment

Hi. I have been trying to install the WebSphere Studio Client and I keep getting an error when I try to access "Development Studio Client for iSeries" after the install. The error message window has "Eclipse" in the title, and says: JVM terminated. Exit code = 1 C:Program FilesIBMWebSphere Studioeclipsejreinjavaw.exe (blah blah blah) Has anybody had similar trouble? Thanks in advance. Brendan Farragher

Comment

I mentioned my machine as an "average" environment, (2.4GHz processor and 512MB of RAM), but I didn't really outline IBM's recommendations. Unless you plan to only run CODE and VARPG, 128MB is simply not enough memory. WDSC, like most Java-based IDEs, requires a substantial amount of memory to run decently - at least 512MB, and I recommend 1GB. Since 512MB of memory costs less than a hundred dollars, this is the the single most cost-effective upgrade for your PC. If your machine cannot handle 1GB or more of memory, then you will need to upgrade sometime soon. This is just a fact of developing in the new world. Otherwise, you will not be able to run WDSC. And all of IBM's development dollars are going to WDSC, not SEU. Fair? Unfair? It's just the way life is. Joe

Comment

Working...
            X