IFS Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IFS Question

Have you ever used Windows explorer? if you have defined a Netshare for the IFS, then just open it, right click your mouse(assuming you one), click copy, position the mouse to the location that you want to target the copied folders, and again, right click the mouse, and click paste. that's it!

IFS Question

If I do that, I have to open up every folder, and do that with every document right? I was wondering if there was a command that would allow me to go thru all the folders and subfolders and copy out only the document types. Basically, I want to move all of the documents out of the folders and subfolders, and to put them all together in another folder, without carrying over any of the subdirectories. Ex. The main folder is called TMPDIR, within TMPDIR are 10 folders V1 - V10. V1 has from five to I don't know how many folders, within these folders are imaging documents (thousands). The same for the other ten folders under TMPDIR. As you can see, that's a heck of a lot of folders to go thru. I have another folder in the root directory called UPLOAD. That's where I need all of the imaging documents to go. And, because of the software we use, they have to be in UPLOAD, and can't be in any subdirectories under UPLOAD. Like I said, I'm new at this, so I apologize if I'm not clear, or if my terminology is off. Are there QSHELL commands I could use?

Comment

IFS Question

Start up QSHELL and use the cp (copy) command. I think the -R switch (capital R) copies the tree if the "source" of the command is a folder. Test this yourself though with some dummy data. Chris

Comment

IFS Question

Chris, that is if you have qshell. Apparently, we do not have it installed and I do not think we have an os cd with it on it. Is Qshell base or licensed product?

Comment

IFS Question

Ismilemyth, I see your situation now. Windows would not help you in this case. Since I don't know Qshell, maybe Chris' response will suffice. Post you solution so we will all learn.

Comment

IFS Question

Well, I presumed the poster had QSHELL since he/she asked for a QSHELL command. Someone else will have to tell you if it's base or licensed. I don't know. Maybe it's part of the Java install. Not sure. cp -R /stuff/myFolder /stuff/newFolder Chris

Comment

IFS Question

QSHELL is free. It is option 30 of OS/400 5722SS1. Or try the QSH command to see if it's there.

Comment

IFS Question

Ken, you da man! Thanks a bunch. I could not remember the command. I tried STRQSH, strshell and others. Now, I just have to locate the cd's from our v5r2 upgrade!

Comment

IFS Question

Please bear with me, as I've never worked with IFS before. I have a folder under the root directory. Within this folder, there are several other folders, and folders within those folders, and so on. Sometimes the nesting is six or seven layers deep. Is there a way that I can copy all of the documents from the folder under the root directory, and from all of the subfolders, into another folder under the root directory? I'm trying to avoid having to go thru each sub-folder independently. Is this possible? Thanks in advance

Comment

IFS Question

Take a look at the CPY command. This is a standard OS/400 command (no QSH, no Windows), and it allows you to copy files and folders. The command in the code section will create a new folder called "FolderWithSubfolders" under /temp, and will copy the entire contents (folders and subfolders) into it. Joe
                    Code

Comment

Working...
                    X